Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

utilities and ch 7

Hi everyone!
    I was hoping someone could tell me how utilities are handled if you need to keep them on.
    The electic bill from the house I forclosed on is $400. I cannot pay it. I moved to an apartment and
    the bill for electric came. It showed a balance from the previous address and then showed the
    balance from the new one. Is it possible to include only the amount from the foreclosed home in the
    chapter 7? I have to keep the electric on for the new place. Does anyone have any insight or
    suggestions? This is the only utility that I have this question about.

Thanks a lot!!
    Carrie

You can list the old utility only, however most of the utility companies transfer it to your new bill. You need to know a couple of things however:

1. They must provide you service at your new location.
    2. They can (and will) charge you a deposit that may be very high.

You may find that paying the $400.00 is cheaper than paying the new deposit.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
      You can list the old utility only, however most of the utility companies transfer it to your new bill. You need to know a couple of things however:

1. They must provide you service at your new location.
      2. They can (and will) charge you a deposit that may be very high.

You may find that paying the $400.00 is cheaper than paying the new deposit.
      They charged us a large deposit even though we did not discharge the existing electric bill but we became late payers. So when we paid the $700 that also became part of our assets, would you believe, in which we had to pay again to our Trustee as we became as asset case. Make arrangements to pay that bill as well as you can as it will not go away unless you list it as a debt. Then the original house will be shut off, and a whole new account will be established with a high deposit. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

You can include them in your BK filing, and they'll need to close out the old account as of the date you filed, then start billing on a new account. The old amount can be discharged. But they can charge a large deposit to move forward with the new billing/account.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X