Procedure, 2nd consult with atty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedure, 2nd consult with atty?

Maybe a dumb question but I'm wondering...on 2 of the 3 free consults I had, the atty gave me their questionnaire packet to fill out for a (potential) subsequent visit.

The attorney I'm planning to hire did follow up a month after the first consult and said to get in touch with any questions about the packet or our discussion, etc. I did email a few questions and got a very quick response.

I asked when they would expect a retainer and the reply was "when you want us to start processing your bankruptcy." (And payments thereafter until full fee paid.)

So it occurs to me...I assume when you meet again with their questionnaire filled out, it takes some time to sit there and review all the responses. If at that point I am not ready to "start processing" (read: don't have the retainer yet)...de facto haven't they given me yet another free consult? Also they would run a credit report at this meeting...that costs money, right?

I guess I'm confused about possibly abusing the atty's time and information...or is this a fairly typical scenario in the pre-BK process?

I'm thinking they don't want to meet with you that 2nd time until you have the retainer fee with you to pay them. I think that 2nd meeting would be considered them starting to process your bankruptcy. But I'm new to this process myself, so maybe others can shed more light.

Comment

I got the impression on the free consultation I did that anything done after the first 30 minutes would require paying a retainer.

As far as a credit reprot, get your own for free from annualfreecreditreport.

Comment

Originally posted by nickifan View Post
        Maybe a dumb question but I'm wondering...on 2 of the 3 free consults I had, the atty gave me their questionnaire packet to fill out for a (potential) subsequent visit.

The attorney I'm planning to hire did follow up a month after the first consult and said to get in touch with any questions about the packet or our discussion, etc. I did email a few questions and got a very quick response.

I asked when they would expect a retainer and the reply was "when you want us to start processing your bankruptcy." (And payments thereafter until full fee paid.)

So it occurs to me...I assume when you meet again with their questionnaire filled out, it takes some time to sit there and review all the responses. If at that point I am not ready to "start processing" (read: don't have the retainer yet)...de facto haven't they given me yet another free consult? Also they would run a credit report at this meeting...that costs money, right?

I guess I'm confused about possibly abusing the atty's time and information...or is this a fairly typical scenario in the pre-BK process?
        Typically, the package you send to him includes your retainer. If this attorney is going to represent you pro bono for awhile that's just marvelous!
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Them sitting down with you the 2nd time would be them "starting the process" and I'm sure they'd require the retainer before they spent 2 hours reviewing all your paperwork with you.
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X