Joining the military.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining the military.

I was medically discharged from the military almost a year ago. I am still unemployed and in school full time. My wife has a job, but also goes to school, and even with unemployment benefits, it is still tough. We were counting on our taxes to be able to pay off the bk lawyer we have obtained and put a little away under our exemption just in case.However, we found out the day we were suppose to receive our refund that we actually do not get it ( we got 129$ out of it. we were suppose to get close to 5,000). One of our CC' was the military star card, and they took our taxes ( we didn't know they could do that). anyways, my wife has made the decision to join the navy. she has always wanted to, but didn't because I was already in the service. We know this will be best for us and will be leaving soon to do her final testing. While I was in the service, we were fine financially, and this will provide a steady income/ roof over our heads for our family. By joining, they will also pay for her to continue in school, as she has hope to become a medical doctor. That will help keep the student loans down! She spoke to her recruiter, and the BK will not affect her joining in her job, just her ability for security clearance for a few years. I will be calling our lawyer on Tuesday, and I was wondering how her joining will affect our BK?

I can imagine that her expected income could affect Schedule J and lay ground for a "totality of circumstances" argument from a trustee. Will you still pass the means test, and have low enough disposable income, with her Navy income? That is, you still won't have enough money to pay creditors?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X