I'm filing Tuesday! Few Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm filing Tuesday! Few Questions...

Hello, I'll be filing Chapter 7 on Tuesday. I have a few questions.

Since I'm self-employed, I have to include some profit & loss statements with my filing. I sold off my inventory in March, so technically that was the end of my business. However, I made some mistake on my taxes, which I just filed. I sold some personal items later in the year, and accidentally included some of them (about $150 worth) in my 2009 business income. I also underreported some expenses by about $100. Hence I am having a hard time aligning my P&L statements with my 2009 tax return. How closely do you think the trustee will look at them?

Of course I'll ask the lawyer what I should do, but do you think I should amend my taxes, so the forms I present at the 341 meeting are absolutely accurate? I'm filing February 2, but the 1040X file to amend isn't even available until February 21. (I only overpaid by $4, and normally wouldn't bother amending.)

What do you think I should do?

You should obviously amend your taxes if they're wrong. Personally I'd provide the trustee with the original and amended-draft taxes and explain the discrepancy and intent to amend. It may be more trouble than it's worth to anybody, but I'd especially do it if, by distracting them with all that faff, I look especially cooperative and also make them less likely to scrutinize some other part of my filing that I don't want them looking at carefully. (-: I did waste a lot of time with my filing, though, preparing documents for the trustee that I thought they may want to look at -- in the end they didn't want to see any of them.

Comment

Don't be concerned. Neither the trustee nor the IRS will care about those mistakes.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mtbc View Post
        I did waste a lot of time with my filing, though, preparing documents for the trustee that I thought they may want to look at -- in the end they didn't want to see any of them.
        I'm hoping this is the case with me. I made all of $2000 last year, and I'm unemployed now. There's no way he/she will get anything besides their 60 bucks out of me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X