How will the ex be affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will the ex be affected?

OK, so I am going to start my BK process within the next week. One of my issues is a boat and a truck that is in my name as well as my ex husband's. He was suppose to refinance after the divorce but never did, and I never pushed him. Now that I am filing BK the lawyer told me to go ahead and list those things. He said what will happen is the creditors will go after it, and either ask the ex to surrender or to accept 100% liability on it.

My ex is wanting to take responsibility, but will there be any negative repercussions on him? Will they just take everything out of my name, or will he have to refinance?

Thanks!

The way I look at it, he was supposed to refinance and get your name off of the debt. He chose not to. What happens after you declare bankruptcy listing the debt that he should have refinanced out of your name is his problem. He can't hold you responsible in family court since your bankruptcy would have had no impact on him at all if he had done what he was supposed to.

And if he chooses not to pay, then they will repossess. And they will come after him for the debt since you are no longer legally responsible for the debt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X