Can't e-file taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't e-file taxes?

I was discharged this week. My attorney sent a letter saying I was discharged and to make sure we send a copy of the 2009 return to the trustee in case he gets any $. We are exempt up to $2K.

In an earlier letter the lawyer stated that we cannot receive a "rapid refund" but needed to get a paper check instead. Ok, fine.

I called to verify, and the assistant told me that I HAD to go to a CPA because there was an "extra form that needs to be filled out regarding your bankruptcy." Is this not something I can do on Turbo Tax myself?

I think Turbo Tax gives you the option of getting a paper check instead of "rapid refund."

Anyone have any tips for me?

Is there something I will get in the mail in regards to the BK that I need to create a form for on TT? Like a 1099 or something?

I really don't want to have to use a CPA! We've used TT for years.

Thanks!
    Filed CH 7 10/14/09
    341 11/18/09 DONE!
    Discharged 1/19/10!

You can file with TurboTax AND get a direct deposit. If you owe the trustee anything you send him a check. Is your refund over $2,000?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Getting your refund direct deposited is perfectly legitimate even if the trustee is expecting your tax return. You would pay the trustee directly anyway. I am not sure why your lawyer wants you to get a paper check refund, it is not necessary.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

If you do, for some reason, need a paper check, you can do that in TT by not entering your bank account information. A paper check is delayed 1 week as opposed to a direct deposit, so it still doesn't take too long to get a check.

By the way, I totally recommend taxact - it's a lot cheaper, it works really well, and you can also get the paper check if you need it.

Comment

Is taxact something that can be accessed online? I am happy to hear the paper check is quicker than the traditional filing, where it takes forever and a day! LOL. I seriously doubt that our refund is going to be over 2K.

I am not sure why the lawyer says that we can't get a rapid refund. Maybe she is afraid people will spend the money without realizing that they owe the trustee money? Who knows!

I have not started to file yet, just getting all my ducks in a row for when we do. Is there a form or a question that needs to be answered on TT or taxact that indicates we filed BK and our debts were discharged?
          Filed CH 7 10/14/09
          341 11/18/09 DONE!
          Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

Only if you receive a 1099 in error from a creditor will you need to file a form with your taxes regarding your bankruptcy. This is unlikely to occur.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I used taxact for the first time for $15.00. It was allot like TT & Taxcut. I used taxcut last year. taxact.com field both state and federal and allowed me to save my return as a pdf. I should have my return back by feb2nd according to the irs.gov ( wheres my refund). I am getting back about 7k. Taxact was easy and it also does the check on you filing for potential errors of flags for audits and such.

** I did not like all the ads they have on there, You also have to be careful you select the free filing ( which of course costs 15.00)l

Comment

I was a former TT customer but have used taxact for the past three years and have not had any issues! I like paying 12.95 for both federal and state instead of 79.00, if your a repeat customer you do get a discount! I'm a no asset/distribution, so does that mean I can keep my tax refund, if I should get one? Also, I have received my w-2, will I be getting paper 1099's as I use to get them on-line, but have be locked out?
                November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

The TT assigned to my case sent me a letter with very specifc instructions on what I was to provide him at least 7 days before the 341, that is done, and in regards to my 2009 taxes.

He states that I cannot efile or have any refund direct deposted into my account, I have to file a paper return, I must present to him completed copies of my 2009 state and federal returns within 10 days after the 341, I will have these for him at the 341.
                  He will then let me know if I get to keep the full refund, a partial or if I hand it all over to him, if I reciveve a refund check before he has given his decision on the matter, I am to not sign the check and mail it to his office. Faliure to follow these instructions can lead to my case being dsimissed..

I kid you not.....

So my taxes are done, will be mailed on Monday, I am getting $600 back in federal and I owe the state $17. My attorney told me anything over $1000 and the TT will take it, so I should be OK, we will see in just over 1 week.

Comment

Originally posted by wantout View Post
                    The TT assigned to my case sent me a letter with very specifc instructions on what I was to provide him at least 7 days before the 341, that is done, and in regards to my 2009 taxes.

He states that I cannot efile or have any refund direct deposted into my account, I have to file a paper return, I must present to him completed copies of my 2009 state and federal returns within 10 days after the 341, I will have these for him at the 341.
                    He will then let me know if I get to keep the full refund, a partial or if I hand it all over to him, if I reciveve a refund check before he has given his decision on the matter, I am to not sign the check and mail it to his office. Faliure to follow these instructions can lead to my case being dsimissed..

I kid you not.....

So my taxes are done, will be mailed on Monday, I am getting $600 back in federal and I owe the state $17. My attorney told me anything over $1000 and the TT will take it, so I should be OK, we will see in just over 1 week.
                    Amazing.

Comment

Your trustee's request does sound weird......

We were told to file as we normally would and then provide copies of everything to the trustee for review.
                      Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
                      UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
                      Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X