No announcement yet.

Can I put my wife on Title to claim the credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP check your states laws on titles because here in Florida I just purchased a house this year in My Name Only and title company said DH's name must be on the title. I didnt want to do this because DH had not filed BK yet but they said it was Florida law that married couples must both be on the title. But it really didnt matter anyways for us because Florida has a high homestead exemption.

Comment

You have a good point pcn. I don't know the OP's total situation but it certainly sounds like he has other alternatives to filing.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by awayalways View Post
        OP check your states laws on titles because here in Florida I just purchased a house this year in My Name Only and title company said DH's name must be on the title. I didnt want to do this because DH had not filed BK yet but they said it was Florida law that married couples must both be on the title. But it really didnt matter anyways for us because Florida has a high homestead exemption.

This is not correct. Married couples do not have to be on the title together. I am a Realtor for the past 30 yrs and close properties all the time where one party is on the title and another is not on title. In order to hold title by TBE (Tenancy by the Entriety) then both names need to be on the title, but you can hold title other ways (tenancy in common or joint tenancy come to mind). You can also have one person on title even if they are married. Happens regularly here in Fl. Sometimes a lender will state how you have to hold title to receive the funds.
        Last edited by StartingOver08; 11-07-2009, 06:35 AM.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
          Why don't you sell your home instead of filing BK? You have more than enough equity to pay off the debt and still have funds to buy another home or rent while you get back on your feet. You will not be under the watchfull eye of the Trustee - you can work with the creditors especially since some of them are settling for pennies on the dollar.
          buy another house with $30,000?

Comment

Originally posted by awayalways View Post
            Here in NY both names have to be on title to get full exemption, since is only my name on title, I only get credit for one exemption.

Comment

30k is a 20% down payment on a 150k house. Not sure what % you need in today's market, or what home values are in your area. Maybe you could get a home equity loan for more and use for the down payment on the new home.
              1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
              2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
              4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

Originally posted by pcn View Post
                30k is a 20% down payment on a 150k house. Not sure what % you need in today's market, or what home values are in your area. Maybe you could get a home equity loan for more and use for the down payment on the new home.
                well , here in NY $30 grand will buy you a hut, or a hot dog cart , or a nice truck to sleep in , but what if the weather gets cold? lol

Comment

well , actually I put my place for sale , but I am hoping creditors won't sue me before the sale is over If they just hold on little longer so I can use the proceeds to settle with them.

If they get aggressive and threaten to sue , I might have to file chapter 7 and liquidate my assets

Comment

What is your current home worth? Or, how much are you listing it for?
                    1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
                    2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
                    4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

It was appraised at 185 grand, but these are rough times and no one buying , it'll probably end up selling for less borderline 170 , it has 38 grand mortgage

Comment

and since I haven't been paying my credit cards since Jan, my credit score is shot, so forget about getting another mortgage with favorable interest rate.

Comment

Chapter 7 is not for you.
                          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If I were in your shoes, I too would sell the house and payoff all my debts. You will have plenty to put down on a new house with the remaining money. You can even have the checks cut at closing and mailed to the creditors.
                            9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                            11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                            01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                            01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

ok let say for argument sake that I settled for 30% with my creditors, what about the 70% ? wouldn't that have to be declared as income on 1099 that they send you after that? Then I will end up owing uncle Sam a big chunk of that am I right? and then not mentioning the collecting agencies going after you for the rest. Wouldn't it be easier to file chapter 7 and not worry about all the hassle?

Comment

how much total debt we talking here? I had $16700 secured and $65,000 unsecured. I had no choice as I had nothing since I have been unemployed for a year. And yes, you will be 1099 by the creditors and you must pay tax on it.
                                9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                                11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                                01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                                01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X