Bump in the Road ERISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump in the Road ERISA

Ok so lawywer says I need the ERISA(Employee Retirement Income Secuirty Act) paper to show my work 401k plan is covered. I called the 401k holder and they only said I could get it from my employer. I don't want my employer to know I filed bk and I really don't want to ask them for the document because i sure that would be a dead give away.

Is there any other reason you would have to request sa ERISA? Divorce,Creditor coming after you? Any Excuses I can make why I need it?

Estate planning will probably be a good one.

Need to make sure you've got wills, trusts, and assets in order for your heirs.

Good luck!
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Since I work in the pension industry - I can give you a couple options. The first would be to call the company that holds your 401k funds and ask if they can email you a copy. They are most likely a call center and they probably don't notify your employer of your call unless your employer asks about it. If they don't know - then they wouldn't have a reason to ask. It would most likely be off the radar. The other option is going to your employer and stating your are refinancing your home and need proof that it is a qualified plan so the funds would not be subject to collateral. Hope this helps.

Comment

Just say your lawyer requested it for tax and estate planning purposes if they ask. You could probably get your lawyer to give you something on his letterhead to that effect.
        7-2-2009 Filed
        8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
        10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Strange, I only gave the Trustee a statement copy from my 401K (which is managed by Fidelity). Never asked about any proof that is was an ERISA covered plan. Pretty much if it says 401(k)... that's an ERISA plan. Maybe there's something with the attorney (or Trustee) not believing it's an actual 401(k). Just strange to me.

Yeah, try the estate planning angle.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think the reason he/she may be asking for it because there is a non-qualified 401k plan that is subject to creditors in some bankruptcy situations. I didn't have to provide it either but this is a guess as to one may ask for documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by nerves View Post
              I think the reason he/she may be asking for it because there is a non-qualified 401k plan that is subject to creditors in some bankruptcy situations. I didn't have to provide it either but this is a guess as to one may ask for documentation.
              Thank you for that. I didn't know that people actually used those things. I don't know that I would trust but a few companies holding a no-qual plan for me.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

why would you need that? I haven't seen any situation where a 401k would be though of as NON exempt..

Originally posted by TBLTZ View Post
                Ok so lawywer says I need the ERISA(Employee Retirement Income Secuirty Act) paper to show my work 401k plan is covered. I called the 401k holder and they only said I could get it from my employer. I don't want my employer to know I filed bk and I really don't want to ask them for the document because i sure that would be a dead give away.

Is there any other reason you would have to request sa ERISA? Divorce,Creditor coming after you? Any Excuses I can make why I need it?
                Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by jribe View Post
                  why would you need that? I haven't seen any situation where a 401k would be though of as NON exempt..
                  Read what nerves wrote above. There is actually a non-qualified 401(k). However, I don't consider it a 401(k), but it seems to take on that same name for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by nerves View Post
                    Since I work in the pension industry - I can give you a couple options. The first would be to call the company that holds your 401k funds and ask if they can email you a copy. They are most likely a call center and they probably don't notify your employer of your call unless your employer asks about it. If they don't know - then they wouldn't have a reason to ask. It would most likely be off the radar. The other option is going to your employer and stating your are refinancing your home and need proof that it is a qualified plan so the funds would not be subject to collateral. Hope this helps.
                    I tried to do this but they said I would have to get it from my company. We have one firm that we do the 401k in but then We have ML that is the point of contact. I called both of them but they said the same thing. They I would have to talk to my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by jribe View Post
                      Lawyer said I should have it ready for the 341. I thought the same thing to.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I will ask the HR person. I don't they will ask what it is for but If I do I will say im making a Will.

Thanks

Comment

There are only certain individuals that can qualify to participate in a non-qualified 401k plan (usually top executives). The reason someone may participate is because the funds are easier to take as a withdrawal than a regular 401k plan while still employed. These plans are actually becoming more popular as the years pass. The biggest downside is that the funds are not totally exempt from creditors - including employer creditors. There is more to these plans, but I thought I would share a quick overview.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                            Read what nerves wrote above. There is actually a non-qualified 401(k). However, I don't consider it a 401(k), but it seems to take on that same name for some reason.
                            I have to agree. I assume the term 401(k) as used to describe this non-qualified plan is used the same way most of us refer to artificially colored and artificially flavored gelatin as jello.

Maybe it's a 401(p) which just doesn't sound sexy enough.
                            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X