This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about applying for food stamps?

It seems that if my income is zero and I am filing for BK, and my state's exemption for personal liquid assets is zero, that once I have filed, or perhaps right after I will have been discharged, that my liquid assets would be zero, and that I would be eligible for food stamps. I guess the question is exactly when I should be eligible.

Of course, I will call the state office, but I have hunch that the office is loathe to answer such calls, so it would be nice if someone could give me some guidance, so that I don't waste so much time in getting the official word from the state office.

Try 1-800-foodstamp.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

It depends this is the government your talking about My SIL was extremely ill and in ICU. When she got out she qualified but couldn't get food stamps or Medicaid because... She didn't have a permanent address. They wanted her to find a place to live first and then they would help her. Crazy huh?
      4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
      5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
      7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
      7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by swampwiz View Post
        It seems that if my income is zero and I am filing for BK, and my state's exemption for personal liquid assets is zero, that once I have filed, or perhaps right after I will have been discharged, that my liquid assets would be zero, and that I would be eligible for food stamps. I guess the question is exactly when I should be eligible.

Of course, I will call the state office, but I have hunch that the office is loathe to answer such calls, so it would be nice if someone could give me some guidance, so that I don't waste so much time in getting the official word from the state office.
        Your State Division of Social Services should have a website linked up to your State website. The information you need should be very easy to obtain as to qualifying and all the documentation that will be needed from you to qualify and the locations at which to apply.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

We are in FL, and DCF handles them here... you can apply online. Since a job loss is what propelled us into bk, we qualified for them (or so we thought) before filing date...my husband got a very poorly paying part time job and we were still over the limit, this month the limit was raised a little and we fell right under the line and get a whopping $241 a month for 3 people...limit varies per household size, etc...one thing that is constant (in FL anyway) is assets have to be under $2,000, no exceptions even with a bk...I believe that is all bank accts. and 401k's etc.

Comment

Why would your assets be zero? Aren't you exempting anything?
            7-2-2009 Filed
            8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
            10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              Try 1-800-foodstamp.
              Yes. What can I say? Could it be this is the reason for bk? Total incompetence.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I guess the meds haven't kicked in yet...the barrage of totally weird questions has started yet again from this person.
                7-2-2009 Filed
                8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

He's just lazy.. wants someone walk his fingers 4 him that's all...

Comment

Originally posted by debbie42 View Post
                    We are in FL, and DCF handles them here... you can apply online. Since a job loss is what propelled us into bk, we qualified for them (or so we thought) before filing date...my husband got a very poorly paying part time job and we were still over the limit, this month the limit was raised a little and we fell right under the line and get a whopping $241 a month for 3 people...limit varies per household size, etc...one thing that is constant (in FL anyway) is assets have to be under $2,000, no exceptions even with a bk...I believe that is all bank accts. and 401k's etc.
                    Debbie is correct. I tried for foodstamps too. With 'Hub's SS and my unemployment and PT job, the household makes too much money.
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

aces, that is crazy!! So backwards I tell ya!

Comment

My state (LA) has no exemption for cash, so any accounts I have will be zeroed out. Retirement accounts don't count as assets.

I'm also looking at getting a low income grant to weatherize my new old house. I could use some weatherstripping and new windows.

Comment

My state (LA) has no exemption for cash, so any accounts I have will be zeroed out. Retirement accounts don't count as assets.

I'm also looking at getting a low income grant to weatherize my new old house. I could use some weatherstripping and new windows.
                          You should make a giant tinfoil hat for you new old house.
                          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If I remember correctly swampwiz, you have a large 401k. That 401k would probably disqualify you from food stamps.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Wow, you really like to max out your government handouts don't you? I have a great idea: why don't you get a job? I know you think it's beneath you to take a *gasp* $25/hour job, but trust me you'll be able to sleep much better at night knowing you support yourself instead of relying on hardworking taxpayers to do it for you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X