please help.. why is my lawyer taking so long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help.. why is my lawyer taking so long

Ok so I paid my lawyer in full back in September and then two weeks after I signed the paperwork and he told me the paperwork would be filed in the next two days after that. It has been a week and a half and I have called three times and left messages with the paralegal. Is this normal for lawyers to take so long and not return messages promptly. I know it is a busy office but I just want this to get going. Are we allowed to mention the lawyers name on here? I would like to know if anyone else has used this firm and what thier experience was...

thanks for the help...

brandy

I'm sorry to hear this Brandy, but yes, you paid him in full. Ergo, the 'creep' comes in. Are you a subscriber to PACER? If not become. Has he given you a case number? If not, set on his door until you see him and MAKE it happen. If he is not willing to do his job, make mention of your State's bar and you are becoming exasperated with him and will soon make your own action against him. It won't make him your friend, but it will get his bottom moving.

We have been there, and we have done that. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi Brandy. Sorry to read of your travails, but this seems to be common. It certainly was with us.

Sorry, but NO you are not allowed to mention names.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks guys.. I didn't think I was able to mention the firm name, I am just frustrated. I am so glad to hear that this is common even though it is driving me crazy. Why do they take so long? All kinds of things could happen such as garnishments, judgements and more. My car has already been repoed. I was hoping he would get the paperwork filed so I would have my car a little while longer but that didn't happen. I will call again tommorow to see if he will call me back or not. This is crazy... I paid him lots of money and I want this done and to top it all off my case is simple...

Comment

One of the items to look out for is the time your attorney actually files. If your information provided to the attorney, for example, is current through Sept the attorney needs to get you filed sometime in the month of Oct. If for some reason there is a delay, then you will need to update the petition with the Oct information. So keep an eye on your attorney just like you are doing already.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

If you have to, go in prepared to camp out in the office waiting room until he will see you. He is YOUR employee, not the other way around.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Jeesh.. I was lucky I guess. From first meeting to filing... 12 days. In my state it's all done electronically. 29 days from first meeting to 341 which will be Nov 10th.............and 60 days or so later...............

Comment

How long did it take for you to get your paperwork filed after it was signed?

I know when I met with him last, he said for me to make sure I had all the creditors listed because honestly it would cost me more to add them after the paperwork has been filed and he is really really busy with cases...

Comment

Originally posted by brandy100973 View Post
                  How long did it take for you to get your paperwork filed after it was signed?

I know when I met with him last, he said for me to make sure I had all the creditors listed because honestly it would cost me more to add them after the paperwork has been filed and he is really really busy with cases...

I signed on Tuesday, case was filed the following day. Precisely 23 hours after I had signed.

Comment

It took my lawyer 3 days to file.. He did mention to me that it could take 2-3 weeks but I asked if there was anyway to get it done faster. He told me that we could file a skeleton chapter 7. I brought all my paperwork to him and it was all filed that day.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X