No Receipts now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Receipts now what?

I posted this in general bk discussion but thought maybe it should really go here as it is specific to chapter 7.........

Ok when we went to our attorneys office we were told that we needed to keep receipts for cash purchases over $600. I gather this was standard operating procedure. So The day before we go to file (today) I am talking to the Paralegal who did my paperwork and she tells me to make sure I have less than $900 dollars in our accounts the day we file and that we need to take any money out over that amount and spend it on necessary items and keep the receipts. I tell her no problem we had told Wells fargo we were filing on our credit card and they told us up front they will freeze the account so we have not been using the bank. Well she then tells me that thats ok as long as we kept our receipts for everything we spent the money on in the last 3 months!!! Well they never told us that to start with so we saved receipts for the big items over $600 but none of the daily gas, food , and what not receipts. So now what happens when we go to the trustee meeting? Including food, car gas, and our house payment and utilities we have a negative cash flow. We can prove the house and utility bills and that is a huge portion of it. I feel like our Attorney should have told us this in the beginning.
    Discharged 1-25-10

Shouldn't be an issue unless the trustee sees something odd or the US Trustee decides to audit you.

What have you been doing with your paychecks? What types of expenses have you had that exceed $600?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I have not heard of keeping all the grocery receipts and having to provide those. Large ticket items such as tires, repairs, etc., yes. Though it is a good idea to start keeping all those receipts at least for a couple of months so that you can use those in order to build a realistic budget.

Do you have your bank statements from the last six months? That will show a lot of where the money went, especially if you used your debit card at the food store, clothing store, etc.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
        Shouldn't be an issue unless the trustee sees something odd or the US Trustee decides to audit you.

What have you been doing with your paychecks? What types of expenses have you had that exceed $600?

The only things I have paid over $600 is tires for my truck after I had one blow out. Other than that the only large cash payments have been for the house payment. I am on unemployment and have a nevada debit card. I just take all the money for my house payment out as a cash advance and pay the house payment. It is done at the bank that has my mortgage and I have the receipts for that. My income is only $425 a week and my house payment is $1500 a month so that covers my expenses. My wife makes about 1900 a month. Out of that we pay all the utilities, 300 a month in car insurance, gas for both vehicles and food and necessities for a family of three. There is not any money left over really. Some times we have a few bucks left over but not often. On months where I get five pay checks we would have some left over but every time that has happened my wife has been on a track break and wont get paid for a week.
        Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          I have not heard of keeping all the grocery receipts and having to provide those. Large ticket items such as tires, repairs, etc., yes. Though it is a good idea to start keeping all those receipts at least for a couple of months so that you can use those in order to build a realistic budget.

Do you have your bank statements from the last six months? That will show a lot of where the money went, especially if you used your debit card at the food store, clothing store, etc.
          Yes I have my bank statements for the last 6 months and it shows how we spend our money for the first 90 days, but for the last 90 days we have been cash only cause we didnt want them to freeze our account with money in it. They told us they could after we told them we intended to file a bk on the card we have with our bank, Wells fargo
          Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
            The only things I have paid over $600 is tires for my truck after I had one blow out. Other than that the only large cash payments have been for the house payment. I am on unemployment and have a nevada debit card. I just take all the money for my house payment out as a cash advance and pay the house payment. It is done at the bank that has my mortgage and I have the receipts for that. My income is only $425 a week and my house payment is $1500 a month so that covers my expenses. My wife makes about 1900 a month. Out of that we pay all the utilities, 300 a month in car insurance, gas for both vehicles and food and necessities for a family of three. There is not any money left over really. Some times we have a few bucks left over but not often. On months where I get five pay checks we would have some left over but every time that has happened my wife has been on a track break and wont get paid for a week.
            You have nothing to be concerned about.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              You have nothing to be concerned about.

Good, it just took me by surprise when she said I should have them. I cant see why, as we don't have any extra income to spend to justify how we spent it. But I will say this whole experience is nerve racking. I have managed to hold on to a little extra money incase of emergency, and just for the sake of being honest I planed to catch my electric bill up, and make a couple of small utility bill payments today just so I have no cash on hand when they file for me in the afternoon tomorrow.
              Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post

Basically her explanation was that because we have no account record for 90 days because we cashed her pay checks we would need to have the receipts. In my mind simple accounting methods account for all the money in bills with a few hundred left each month for food, gas, and what evers.
                Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X