top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I sold some stuff on CRAIGSLIST, is this ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sold some stuff on CRAIGSLIST, is this ok?

I was running out of cash and needed money to pay my utility bills, electric and phone and had to sell some stuff on craigslist. A month later I filed for bankruptcy because the lender had set a foreclosure date and I decided that bankruptcy was the best option to rid myself of the debt. How will the trustee view my selling property on craigslist (before my bankruptcy)? And when I can I sell the rest of my stuff (now that I've filed?). I will be moving soon and can't afford movers so want to just get rid of everything and start over. I don't have much and it is all exempted. Any advice on selling personal items and how to best handle this is appreciated. Many thanks. Warm Regards, Robbie

I sold many items on craigslist prior to bankruptcy to pay bills. I listed the sales under transferred property, no questions asked at the 341. I wouldn't recommend selling anything that secures a loan that you want to discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
      I was running out of cash and needed money to pay my utility bills, electric and phone and had to sell some stuff on craigslist. A month later I filed for bankruptcy because the lender had set a foreclosure date and I decided that bankruptcy was the best option to rid myself of the debt. How will the trustee view my selling property on craigslist (before my bankruptcy)? And when I can I sell the rest of my stuff (now that I've filed?). I will be moving soon and can't afford movers so want to just get rid of everything and start over. I don't have much and it is all exempted. Any advice on selling personal items and how to best handle this is appreciated. Many thanks. Warm Regards, Robbie
      kinda depends on what kind of stuff you're selling.. If your selling stuff that's under a few hundred dollars- you should be fine. There's no records of sales when you do stuff on craigslist. We used to sell stuff there all the time. We moved a few months ago- and sold some bigger items like our washer, dryer, fridge etc. I didn't list it on property transferred; because the trustee wouldn't know i ever owned them. It's one of those things you have to "eyeball" and figure out your best course of action. If you're selling something that has to be re-registered (like a car) - then don't sell it now. But regular household stuff (as long as it wasn't bought recently with a cc) would be fine.
      Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
      341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
      Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
      Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

As long as you didn't sell someone else property you're fine.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I sold the living room set, and some other furniture for about $4,000. I have the copy of the check and deposited into my bank account. Needed the money to pay for utilities, food, etc. Spent about half of it in a month's time just keeping myself afloat. Then had to file bankruptcy. Will the trustee try to take the furniture back from whomever I sold it to? It was a nieghbor and I do not want to cause a ruckus or fuss or make enemies. All monies are accounted for but I am nervous. Help!!!

Comment

Your neighbor bought it from you off craigslist?

What was the stuff actually worth that you sold the neighbor? Why are you nervous if it was an arm's length transaction and you used the proceeds for normal living expenses? Are you telling us the whole story?
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

$4000 is a lot just prior to filing. Make sure you include the $$ as income received in the 6 months prior to filing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X