Sale of personal property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of personal property?

I have a question about the sale of personal property. In January I sold some personal property for 9k. The money was spent on odds and ends, taking trips and also paying some friends of mine to paint the new house we just bought. Fast forward to the middle of the year, the company I worked for shut down and I was laid off work. I have been on unemployment and was not able to pay my creditors so my boat and rv were repossessed. My question is this. When I go to the trustee meeting they will want to where the money came from. I have no way to prove where the money came from i have no bill of sale from personal property. Also they are going to want to know where the money went and I have no way to prove what it was spent on as it was just spent here and there on bs stuff. If I had known at the time we were going to be in this mess, 1 I would have saved the money, 2 I would have kept the proof of spending. Is this going to be a problem? Now I am worried they will want the 9k back and I dont have it, but cant prove I spent it as required. I am not sure how they can expect you to know you are going to be filing bk in advance and save all the information.

I might add that the money was deposited in my account and then withdrawn a short time later so there is record of me having the money. I realize most trustees only ask for six months of bank information but I do feel the need to be honest on my petition and claim I sold the property, as the petition asks if you have sold or transfered personal property in the last year. What can I do ?
    Discharged 1-25-10

You can be honest and tell it like you just did. You had no intent on fraud as you cannot predict the future and the layoff. I would not say too much about it unless asked. Then, tell it honestly. You will be fine. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      You can be honest and tell it like you just did. You had no intent on fraud as you cannot predict the future and the layoff. I would not say too much about it unless asked. Then, tell it honestly. You will be fine. 'Hub

Same advice my Lawyer gave me at our meeting yesterday. I am going to put it on my petition and tell the trustee where it came from and where it went. Simple as that. I guess I was under the assumption you had to have receipts for all the expenses. He explained you need them from the time you intend to file bk threw the trustees meeting. We had no intention of filling and the moment I was unemployed we ceased all use of our credit and continued to pay the bills until we consulted our attorney. He said that lack of use of credit from unemployment would set well with the trustee and negate any claim of intent to defraud by taking on credit while I couldn't repay. He said we will have no problems at the trustee meeting as all of our debt is years old and we have been paying it without fail for many years. I guess I am stressed out for nothing, but I cant help it.
      Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X