newbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs help

We have an appointment with the lawyer Friday.I told him Citi bank raised our payments and interest and we can not afford it.I gave him some info. on the phone.He told me if I can't afford to pay it,don't.He said to bring your bills and W2 in.What happens now,will I file on that day?If I take him a bill,that isn't up to date,will they still pay all of it?The lawyer said he would charge $35 on the first visit and we would talk about it there.I am from Pa. what happens from here.Thanks

You need to read. Start with the Stickys atop this forum.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Don't pay anything for a consult! There are plenty of attorneys that give you the first one free.
      Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

Originally posted by aljohnson007 View Post
        Don't pay anything for a consult! There are plenty of attorneys that give you the first one free.
        By all means do what is suggested here. You will want to talk with at least two or three before you decide to hire an attorney.

When you do go, take with you your last year's income tax, six months worth of bank statements, any paycheck stubs or (advices, if you are direct deposited electronically) for the past six months. That is all I can think of right now; whomever you eventually be hiring, you will need to provide all of these eventually, so you may as well start getting them together. Whatever else you might need, you will be told of.

You will also be given a package of paperwork to fill out. THAT can be intimidating, but don't let it. There is plenty advice here about filling out the forms.

You will also be sent to a consumer credit advisor. You have to attend two of these, a pre-filing one, and a post filing one. These have to be completed and the certificate that you get must be included in the file that goes to the court.

That should be enough to chew on right now. Good luck.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Don't pay any attorney for a first consult. There are PLENTY of great attorneys that don't charge for the first consult. If they charge they most likely are part-time BK attorneys. You need a fulltimer.
          7-2-2009 Filed
          8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
          10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.How do I determine if I should use this lawyer.What questions,do you ask? What would be wrong about a lawyer that does bankruptcy part time?I don't have many lawyers to choose from ,I live in a small area.

Comment

Slow down. Citybank is not getting ready to come to your home and eat you. All that's going to happen is that you'll start getting phone calls in a few weeks.

Take your time and read, read, read the stuff that's posted on here, especially the stickys as OhioFiler told you.

Calm down, take your time, and do what's right for you.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X