When do we stop paying bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do we stop paying bills?

We met with our attorney today. We have not completed any paperwork nor submitted any payments to the attorney. Is it too soon to stop paying our cc bills? We are current on all of our accounts and haven't been 30/60 days late before. Please advise.

If you are planning to file bankruptcy in the next several months and have not charged any luxuries or taken cash advances in the last 6 months stop paying immediately. Any money you pay once you decide to file is wasted.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I had this question too. What if I've made a couple of luxury charges on my card w/in the past month? Do I keep paying this card for the next 6 months, then stop paying?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
        If you are planning to file bankruptcy in the next several months and have not charged any luxuries or taken cash advances in the last 6 months stop paying immediately. Any money you pay once you decide to file is wasted.
        This is absolutely true.

By the way "luxuries" would be purchases of $500 or more within 90 days of filing and "cash advances" would be in the amount of $750 or more within 70 days of filing. These would be "presumed" as non-dischargable (i.e. you would still owe the debt after BK).

So if you have anything like this, make the minimum payments of maybe just a bit more for AT LEAST three months, preferably six months if you can. After 90 days it's up to the creditors to try to fight your discharge of their debt. If it's been six months or more, prevailing wisdom says you've probably dropped off the radar and they will leave you alone.

And no, "luxuries" are not buying groceries, gas, car maintenance, dental work, etc. Use common sense here. We're talking about a cruise, diamonds, a Ferrari, etc.
        Last edited by killinstinct; 09-12-2009, 12:38 AM. Reason: had another thought
        Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
        341 Meeting 09/09/09
        Discharged 11/12/09
        Closed 12/14/09

Comment

At first I had this grand scheme of hopefully filing without having any late payments on my credit file. What it came down to was, would I rather try protect my credit or ensure I get through bk and minimize the chance of an AP. I took the second option and stopped paying for 6 months.
          My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
          posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X