top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious - what type of car do you drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious - what type of car do you drive?

I'm just being noisy but I'm wondering what type of vehicle does everyone drive these days either post-bk or doing as we did and getting a decent vehicle before your bk. I could actually kick myself because I had an opportunity to buy a 2009 Saturn with zero down, zero interest for five years. But Miss Smarty Pants had a lapse in judgment and had to have something brand spanking new. Actually, I was in panic mode and reacted instead of thinking things through. My car was brand new instead of the demo model I felt the manager was pushing on me so we put down $500 and have 1.9% interest for six years. It's the extra year of payments that's killing me. Anyway, I need as my husband says to just get over it and be grateful we have decent transportation for the next 6-10 years because I intend to drive this puppy until it begs to be taken to the junk yard!

Anyway, our car is a 2009 Saturn Aura. What does everyone else drive and do you wish you were driving something else? Silly question, I know but it's on my mind.
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

We have a 2008 Toyota Corolla. It's the basic model but has all the stuff like CC, PW and such. It's a manual transmission. Just not leather or stuff like that.
    We bought it with the intentions of towing it behind our RV which we lost with our home in the BK.
    It's all set up to tow with the hidden tow connectors in the front, the wiring through to the brake unit which sat in the car and such.
    Anyway, the car gets 32-35 around town but not much stop and go here for us. And it gets 38-41 on the road.
    It's a little light at 2500# but it does OK on the road in the winds.
    It's got room for 4 and a big enough trunk to break the bank at Costco shopping (Been there and done that)
    It's got a good reputation, it had low miles and was still in warranty with a very low payment ($225) and interest when we filed BK so we kept it. Why not.
    We are retired and travel just a few times a year and the car does not get that much miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
      What does everyone else drive and do you wish you were driving something else?
      Down to one car now until dh lands a job. Then we'll pay cash for a good used car. Right now, we have an '07 Saturn Aura. Bought it new. Still have a loan. Kept it through out BK. And, yes, I do wish we drove something else. I hate that car. Of all the cars we've ever owned, it's the only one I've hated.
      filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
      341 meeting 6/4/09
      DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

Prior to bankruptcy I had a 1994 Ford Conversion Van and a 1996 GMC Sierra pickup truck. The van as financed with surrender chosen as the option in my CH7. They have yet to pick it up and I am beginning to doubt that they will. After the close of the CH7 I bought a 2001 Mustang Convertible (cash). Having two working vehicles at all times is very important to me as I have to travel between multiple offices in different cities. In addition, I live almost an hour from Atlanta.

Comment

I drive (which isn't much) a 1999 Toyota Sienna Van with almost 97,000 miles on it. The rear seats have been taken out (leaving only 4 captain's chair) & had a hand held remote lift put in that puts my scooter in and out of the van. It Paid For! and am hoping I will get another 10 years out of it. I've never had any problems with the car except for changing the oil & putting tires on it.

Hubby has a 2006 Dodge Dakota with about 34,000 miles on it. It has a short bed with a liner in it. We are making payments on it. We took part of our income tax return and put tires on both cars.

When hubby is home and if I go with him, he drives the Van. If he goes anywhere without me (which is most of the time) he drives his pickup as it has more leg room. Wears a size 16 shoe & is 6'6" tall.

Comment

I recently purchased a pre-owned Saab 9-3 in anticipation of bk. I am far from happy with the engineering (great engine, quirky everything else!) and I really miss AWD. My goal is to be back in an A4 (preferably TDI!) paying with cash, of course!
            *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

I drive a 2002 SUV Mercury Mountaineer that I bought in Jan 2009 post BK. I put down a substantial amount but ended up with payments for 16 mths. However, next month I will have enough in savings to comfortably pay it off!

No more payments for me after next month for this or any future vehicle. I have a separate savings to pay into just to purchase vehicles cash. This was the tough purchase, right out of BK with very little savings and no desire to use credit. But - it has worked well for me.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

That's funny, I traded in a 2004 saab 9-3 in Feb for a new 2009 Hyundai elantra with plans of filing for some sort of bankruptcy. (chapter 7 or 13, I ended up filing chapter 7)

I always hated the saab it was very unreliable from day one. I love the elantra it's like the toyota corolla I had when I went to grad school the first time. (starting grad school the second time this fall...)
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country and a 2005 Ducati motorcycle. I did not reaffirm either, I'm just doing a "ride through"

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                    That's funny, I traded in a 2004 saab 9-3 in Feb for a new 2009 Hyundai elantra with plans of filing for some sort of bankruptcy. (chapter 7 or 13, I ended up filing chapter 7)

I always hated the saab it was very unreliable from day one. I love the elantra it's like the toyota corolla I had when I went to grad school the first time. (starting grad school the second time this fall...)
                    Saab, allegedly, cleaned up their act in 06. While I haven't had mechanical/electrical problems *knocking on wood*, I suspect Scandamerican engineers took extended lunch breaks and didn't return to finish tasks! Ugh. This is my BK car. I wish you would have posted earlier!
                    *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Originally posted by mike258 View Post
                      I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country and a 2005 Ducati motorcycle. I did not reaffirm either, I'm just doing a "ride through"
                      LOL. Ducati motorcycle, doing a ride through. LOL.

Well, I have a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon. Reason? I have had diesels for years and the last Jetta had 256K until 5th gear went out. Could have fixed it but gave me excuse for new. It is very reliable, the body sucks, and interior is not very pleasing, but I can and have "laid rubber" (almost T-boned) with it. I have burned peanut oil in it just fine. Diesels were invented before spark plugs. They were invented to burn vegetable oil. My car if needed, would run when no petroleum is available. I get 40 to 45 miles a gallon of anything that will burn but gasoline. (I made THAT mistake once). It is a wonderful engine, I wish they could design a body that would not lose it's front bumper whenever you park near a tire stop. 'Hub
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

2008 Honda Accord for me and hubby drives a 1998 Honda Civic. We are hoping his car doesnt break down anytime soon as we are still on a very tight budget post bk. We reafirmed my car loan.
                        From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
                        Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
                        Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for sharing. I know I should be grateful for what we have. I admire those that took cash and just paid for a vehicle. We are hoping to surrender hubby's SUV ($433.00 per month payments with 2-1/2 years left) sometime next year and will pay cash for an old Jeep Wrangler because that is what he has always wanted.

I know I need to let go of the have to have a new car every few years attitude. That is what got us to this place and I don't ever want to be here again!

Anyone else want to share what you are driving?

Comment

downsized - I'm not thrilled with our Saturn either. But it's more because I felt rushed into the purchase and wished I would have bought the souped up XR with leather and sunroof and other bells and whistles. Why don't you like yours?

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
                              I drive (which isn't much) a 1999 Toyota Sienna Van with almost 97,000 miles on it. The rear seats have been taken out (leaving only 4 captain's chair) & had a hand held remote lift put in that puts my scooter in and out of the van. It Paid For! and am hoping I will get another 10 years out of it. I've never had any problems with the car except for changing the oil & putting tires on it.

Hubby has a 2006 Dodge Dakota with about 34,000 miles on it. It has a short bed with a liner in it. We are making payments on it. We took part of our income tax return and put tires on both cars.

When hubby is home and if I go with him, he drives the Van. If he goes anywhere without me (which is most of the time) he drives his pickup as it has more leg room. Wears a size 16 shoe & is 6'6" tall.
                              I don't want to scare you but you might want to think about changing your timing belt fairly soon if you haven't already. Toyota recommends it at 90,000 miles.
                              6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
                              10/06/2009 Discharged
                              01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X