Moving and not updating address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving and not updating address

Ok say you move out of state and you don't update your address. Is this an issue? I dont have a job, etc so nothing can be traced by my social. I dont use credit cards, etc so there really is no paper trail. Thoughts?
    9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
    11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
    01/04/2010 - last day for objections
    01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Originally posted by drowningNdebt View Post
    Ok say you move out of state and you don't update your address. Is this an issue? I dont have a job, etc so nothing can be traced by my social. I dont use credit cards, etc so there really is no paper trail. Thoughts?
    I've done this. It was successful for getting collectors/repo people off of our tail until we filed.

Comment

Assuming you haven't filed bankruptcy, you can try this. (If you have filed, then the court must be notified of your new address.)

However, don't be surprised if some of your creditors are able to eventually catch up with you. Do a google search on 'skip trace' if you'd like to see how they will try to do it. Good luck!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

hahaha nope didnt file yet and just keeping on the DL since my car is 45 days past due. Dont know how long till they repo but im hoping to file in Nov. However, I think my dad will be buying a car for me to use that will be in his name and insured in his name. Therefor I can let this one go in the BK.

Comment

not sure how the bankis going to handle this. I hit a deer in my car and it did some damage. I don't have full coverage, just liability. Car isn't driveable. They will have to auction it off in the current condition. How does this affect me? I'm so depressed and upset right now. Feels like I have been hit with a ton of bricks the last few months and now this!

Comment

if you really want to "disappear" make sure not to give the post office your new address. give the new address only to companies/people you want to give it to. and be careful when you deal with utilities - if you move them with you, that can be traced. better to start with new companies. i moved myself and gave NOBODY the new address except my utility companies. now i am getting junk mail at the new address, addressed to my name. this proves utility companies lie to you when they say your info is confidential with them.

also be careful with your bank accounts. you can go on for quite a long while without telling the bank if you have only online statements (they won't even know you moved).
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Im more concerned about the damage that occured to the car today while I was driving it! Obviously the bank is going to be outraged about this. Say I owe 18,000 and now with the damage it's only worth 4,000. What proceedings do the bank have against me? I didn't have full coverage, only liability.

Comment

Your chpt 7 will take care of that

Comment

The care was insured right?
                  My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                  posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Originally posted by shabam View Post
                    The care was insured right?
                    OP only has liability.
                    Filed 5/29/09
                    Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

I can speak from personal experience since March 2008, that it hasn't been too hard for me to "dissapear" from creditors. I found this out accidently, but the best way to do it is to enroll in LifeLock.

Creditors won't be able to access your information easily (especially collection agencies.) I thought I had lost my SS Card when I moved across the country so I enrolled in LifeLock and some of my creditors still call my cell phone (NCO won't quit calling for Capital One) but I just don't answer their calls. Before in 2008 I was "judgement proof" but I haven't been at all this year and they still haven't found me. I did move three times in 2008, and I didn't change my address after the first time. I do receive my mail at a UPS Store though, and one disadvantage is the US Mail won't foward your mail from a UPS Store if you move.

The only bills I've had in my name are my cell phone and my bank account. My current address isn't on my credit file yet, but I think it will be on there by September (if it only takes a month.)

By the way, should I call my creditors? I'm not even sure how high my accounts are now with all the monthly fees they've been adding for the past year and a half?!?

I'm planning on filing next week, so even if they do find me, I should be able to beat them to court.

I used to stress over the phone calls I received, now I just ignore them.
                      Filed: 09/18/09
                      341: 10/28/09
                      DISCHARGED!!!!:

Comment

I was considering using the USPS to forward my mail since I am moving out of state and also because this is what my lawyer recommended so I know where I stand with my creditors as time goes by. It's possible that my lawyer didn't think about the skip trace method that lrprn mentioned above. Because of the skip trace, I am now considering otherwise but I have one main concern: I will not be able to file BK before the first of the year, so how can I get my taxes done if my tax info. is floating around in the mail system? Isn't that dangerous in and of itself since my SS info will be on all of the tax forms? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I found this neat thing called Earth Class Mail. I signed up for it when I moved to Denmark last year. Its an "online" address. You get a real street address, but they scan all your mail for you and you can choose if you want them to open it and scan it in or shred it. They can also accept packages for you and then if you want the items forwarded to you, they will mail them to any address you wish.

I find it pretty handy cause my creditors don't know my "real" address but I still have a valid address to get mail etc...

Only a couple times has it irritated me as on applications for employment and such they ask for previous addresses... I don't list that address because I have never "lived" there its just a mailing address. So, I've had a couple places ask me about why they saw that address on my credit report but I didn't list it. Easy to explain...but kind of annoying sometimes.
                          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

very interesting amy! but it looks pretty pricey
                            filed ch7 May 09
                            341 june 09
                            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Hmmm... I can't remember how much I pay for it... I think I pay it up in 6 month chunks and its like 50 or 60 dollars every time they renew it. I don't think its that bad a deal actually...I have the base cheapest package with a free street address in Oregon lol..
                              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X