top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh NO! Just my luck (Child support lump sum payment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh NO! Just my luck (Child support lump sum payment)

I am freaking out here. Just found out today that my ex-H filed his taxes this year (after several yrs of not filing cuz he was paid under the table) and I'm suppose to be getting $4200 towards the $9K in support arrears from his tax check. What happens now? Will the trustee likely want this $$ & turn our no asset chpt 7 into an asset case? Does anyone know if Indiana allows an amount of cash to be claimed as exempt?

TIA
    Filed 8/2009
    Discharged & Closed 11/2009
    Now the rebuilding begins....

i would think it's exempt - it's for your child, not you. but i don't know for sure.

also, how did you find out? did you get an official letter from irs? or did you learn unofficially?
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
      i would think it's exempt - it's for your child, not you. but i don't know for sure.

also, how did you find out? did you get an official letter from irs? or did you learn unofficially?
      I learned unofficially (from ex-H)... he received the letter stating it had been taken for his back support. I also received an odd amount of child support payment this week & found out it is his state tax refund so I'm guessing the federal $4200 check is not far behind I would think it would be exempt since it's for my kids, but I dunno and our attorney is out til Monday
      Filed 8/2009

Comment

I would think it's exempt also. It is technically to support your kids and not you.
        4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
        5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
        7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
        7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I believe she willl have to treat it as income on her petition but may be able to exempt it as an asset.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thanks! Hopefully we're right in our thinking that it will be exempt
            Filed 8/2009

Comment

Child support is only theoretically for the child. There's no requirement that the money goes specifically to any of the child's expenses. My child support payment support a pretty fancy shoe collection for my ex-wife while my kids get hand-me-downs from their cousins.
              Ch. 7
              Filed: 05/07/2009
              341: 07/01/2009
              Discharged AND closed: 09/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Humonese View Post
                Child support is only theoretically for the child. There's no requirement that the money goes specifically to any of the child's expenses. My child support payment support a pretty fancy shoe collection for my ex-wife while my kids get hand-me-downs from their cousins.
                Not that I should feel the need to defend myself... but I'll tell ya that my children are very well taken care of & the child support I receive from my deadbeat ex is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of $$ my husband and I spend on feeding & clothing two teenagers
                Filed 8/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three09 View Post
                  Not that I should feel the need to defend myself... but I'll tell ya that my children are very well taken care of & the child support I receive from my deadbeat ex is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of $$ my husband and I spend on feeding & clothing two teenagers
                  I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about you. Just hearing that he was that far behind and getting money under the table is enough to convince me that you're doing the right things.

I'm bitter because of my experience with my ex, she had a lot do with driving me to bankruptcy.

I'm sorry I didn't add any value to the thread! I hope it all works out for you.
                  Ch. 7
                  Filed: 05/07/2009
                  341: 07/01/2009
                  Discharged AND closed: 09/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Humonese View Post
                    I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about you. Just hearing that he was that far behind and getting money under the table is enough to convince me that you're doing the right things.

I'm bitter because of my experience with my ex, she had a lot do with driving me to bankruptcy.

I'm sorry I didn't add any value to the thread! I hope it all works out for you.
                    No problem .. I totally understand
                    Filed 8/2009

Comment

well, since you heard unofficially, unless the check actually gets to you before the 341 i wouldn't say anything. also, even if it does come in, i think unless the trustee asks specifically you are not obligated to say anything.
                      filed ch7 May 09
                      341 june 09

Comment

well, since you heard unofficially, unless the check actually gets to you before the 341 i wouldn't say anything. also, even if it does come in, i think unless the trustee asks specifically you are not obligated to say anything.
                        Exactly what I was thinking too! Our attorney didn't even ask for proof of my child support (just wanted the amount that is court ordered)... not to say the trustee won't ask to see a print out of past payments, but maybe our attorney didn't ask for proof (print out) because that's not something the trustee's in our district asks for ... here's hoping
                        Filed 8/2009

Comment

if i understand your post correctly, your attorney already included in your petition the amount that you were supposed to get, even though you didn't actually get these payments. if that's the case, these tax returns are really already included in your petition.
                          filed ch7 May 09
                          341 june 09

Comment

if i understand your post correctly, your attorney already included in your petition the amount that you were supposed to get, even though you didn't actually get these payments. if that's the case, these tax returns are really already included in your petition.
                            Yes, my current monthly support amount is already included in our petition as income for myself.
                            Filed 8/2009

Comment

then my feeling is that there isn't anything to worry about.
                              filed ch7 May 09
                              341 june 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X