When do you stop paying CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you stop paying CC

I've decided I'm gonna go ahead in file BK. I am not current on all my CC only 3 which are automatically deducted from my checking account and a consolidation loan. I don't have the money to file right now, should have it saved up by October ($1200 included filing fee). My question is do I stop paying this now or what, also will the credit card companys that I am paying stop taking the payments out of my account if I request it without it turning into a problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Stop paying them all now if you haven't taken a cash advance or done a balance transfer in the last couple months.

Open a new checking account immediately! The cc companies will try to get those funds regardless of what you tell them.

Go online to your cc card company websites and delete your bank account information and change your bill paying status today!
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

They will probably not like it when you call to cancel the automatic deductions but they will do it if you ask.

Like PP said, changing to a different bank is a good idea. It will give you extra security knowing they CAN'T reach in and pull out money.

I had to cancel auto-drafts with my auto loan when I wanted to quit paying and it was not a problem.
      Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
      341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

I advise my bk clients to stop paying credit cards immediately upon deciding for sure that they are going to file for bk. That's how they save up their attorney / filing fees. I usually have them hand over all their cards to me and I put them in a big ol' shredder.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I am one step ahead of you. I shred all my cards already, LOL!!! I was hoping not to have to close my accounts because I have other regular bills that I have drafted out monthly and I get all my direct deposit there from payroll and child support when I get it. Come to think of it the payments were only suppose to be for six months which the sixth payment just happened last week, but I'm gonna and cancel the automatic payments anyway.

Comment

As long as you are sure you are filing, which it sounds like you are, then stop paying. Like another poster stated, don't stop on any you got balance transfers on. If you have made any large purchases don't stop on them either. The ones on auto withdraw, stop them too. I ran into a problem with an auto withdraw going thru when it shouldn't have, so those are a little tricky.

By not paying cc, this will allow you to have the money for the attorney sooner.

Did you already go meet with the attorney? If so, he should have given you some advise on the time frame for filing. If you haven't met with one yet, make an appt and they will advise you on when to stop paying.

Good luck
            Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Stop paying on them now. Stop the automatic drafts with the CC company and call your bank also and let them know that they need to be stopped.
              4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
              5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
              7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
              7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X