Income Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income Tax Refund

If I file next month which I am planning to do and get done before the end of the year, will they still confiscate my 2009 tax refund that I usually get in March (in this case March 2010)?

I have been getting some large refunds due to losses from Katrina so that would suck if they take it. I use it to pay my property taxes and homeowners insurance (which is stupid high).
    New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

My lawyer said next year's they couldn't touch anyway and this year's he exempted with our wildcard exemption.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

After your discharge, everything you get is yours. You would already be in your new start. They won't tag you forever. Only if something pops up that is provable fraud could they reopen your case. That's unlikely. High insurance? We live in FL, be thankful you can get any at all. We play hell getting insurance. Everyone has pulled out. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
        If I file next month which I am planning to do and get done before the end of the year, will they still confiscate my 2009 tax refund that I usually get in March (in this case March 2010)?

I have been getting some large refunds due to losses from Katrina so that would suck if they take it. I use it to pay my property taxes and homeowners insurance (which is stupid high).
        Your 2009 tax refund is accruing now. If you file in October, the TT could collect 9/12th's of your refund in 2010.

It would be like hiding an asset by transferring it to the US Treasury and recovering after we are discharged.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          Your 2009 tax refund is accruing now. If you file in October, the TT could collect 9/12th's of your refund in 2010.

It would be like hiding an asset by transferring it to the US Treasury and recovering after we are discharged.
          This is what I was afraid of. Understand that we don't have an excessive amount withheld, we just get a lot of tax benefits right now due to Katrina.

I have changed my withholdings and set them pretty high as far as exemptions, so hopefully it will reduce the refund I get for next year.
          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
            After your discharge, everything you get is yours. You would already be in your new start. They won't tag you forever. Only if something pops up that is provable fraud could they reopen your case. That's unlikely. High insurance? We live in FL, be thankful you can get any at all. We play hell getting insurance. Everyone has pulled out. 'Hub
            Hey, tell me. All of the homeowners insurance companies cut bait and bailed on people when we needed them most (like Allstate and State Farm). For a few years we had NO ONE writing. Everyone had to use the state insurer of last resort called Citizens. The pitiful thing is that the National Flood Insurance Program paid the vast majority of the claims in Katrina. It's sickening that these insurance companies are allowed to rob you blind every year and then when we need what you paid for, they drop you like a bad habit and run for the hills.

I've cut most of my ties with Allstate, whom I had. I only have my car insurance with them still because I can't find anyone cheaper.

Comment

We're having to use Citizens as well. As far as Allstate for the cars, 'Hub has been with them for years and want to stay with them, so we have not done any comparison shopping, but you are probably right about them being the cheapest.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                We're having to use Citizens as well. As far as Allstate for the cars, 'Hub has been with them for years and want to stay with them, so we have not done any comparison shopping, but you are probably right about them being the cheapest.
                Yeah my wife was with Allstate from the get go and when we got married we went with them. We've been together on the policy for 12 years now and so I am pretty sure we are with their top tier company. Therefore, I can't seem to beat their car insurance rates.

I don't know if they are doing anything in Florida yet, but we found a company called ASI. There rates are decent and there deductibles are awesome, $500 for any peril including hurricanes.

Comment

Another question:

Should I change my checking account to a bank that I will not being including anything in the bankruptcy? I know at the time I file I should have very little in there, right? Should I stop direct deposit also for the time being? Actually I don't think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
                    Another question:

Should I change my checking account to a bank that I will not being including anything in the bankruptcy? I know at the time I file I should have very little in there, right? Should I stop direct deposit also for the time being? Actually I don't think I can.
                    If you use a bank you also owe money to I would definitely open another account elsewhere just in case they have a cross colateralization clause in your terms. You can shift your direct deposit to another bank.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X