No asset/way below mediun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No asset/way below mediun?

OK, just checking to see if I got this straight .
    I have no assets, My only income is unemployment under 900 a month/New Jersey. My debt is around 25 to 30 thousand in medical bills and 1 cc card that I stopped paying a few yrs ago.
    I will not have to take the means test?
    Will I still have to gather all my documents ie: tax returns , banks statements, pay stubs etc.
    I would like to know so I have everthing ready so I can file asap , I am being sued already!!!!
    Any help would be apreciated Thanks!!!

Well I'm in NY but I needed tax returns going back to 2005, 6 months back of paychecks, 3 months of previous bank statements, deed to my house, title to my car, and the most recent bill statements of all the debts I was going to file on. I was sued by Capitol One and they were garnishing my paycheck for 10%. That all stopped the day I filed, June 11.

Comment

If you're under median, you don't have to do the means test. Depending on your district, you will need different things. I only needed most recent bank statements, pay stubs for the whole year and my last 2 years tax returns. But it varies.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

We had to have 6 months pay stubs, 2 yrs tax returns, deed to our house, showing description of property, tax bills with property assessment, W-2's for previous years and bank statements for previous 3 months. This is the papers going to the 341. Our attorney sent us a check list that we had to send back with our paperwork that is going with our attorney.

I am getting a little nervous, but not too bad, not as bad as I thought I'd be. 4 days from today.
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

i keep feeling this is strange, but my atty did not ask for ANY documentation, not even the tax return and paystubs that i KNEW the trustee is supposed to get. i had to take the initiative and go give them to my atty a week before my 341 so he would give it to the trustee. (then he said if all his clients were like me, he wouldn't need a secretary ).

i think my case was such a clear-cut no asset (much like yours, alleycat) that my atty seriously did not worry about anything at all.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

If you are under median you do not have to do the means test but you will have to fill out schedule J.

You will have to list your take home pay and subtract your actual expenses to determine your DMI. So even if you are under median you could still have to file chapter 13 if you have enough disposible income.

Comment

You won't have to do the means test but you will still need all your bills, paystubs for 6 months, bank statements and tax returns for 2 years.
              4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
              5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
              7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
              7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have an intake meeting today so hopefully I will come away with more info. I only can find 2 yrs back tax returns, If they ask for 5 does anyone know if I can get them from the IRS?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                  ]If you're under median, you don't have to do the means test. Depending on your district, you will need different things. I only needed most recent bank statements, pay stubs for the whole year and my last 2 years tax returns. But it varies.
                  This is not true. The first part of the means test determines whether you have to complete the second part. The first part of the test indicates whether you are above or below the state median. If you are below the state median then you do not have to complete the remaining sections of the test EXCEPT section 8 (if my memory is fresh). That is the signature section.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

How much disposable income am I allowed to have , do my expenses include food?

Comment

Originally posted by alleycat View Post
                      How much disposable income am I allowed to have , do my expenses include food?

If you actually complete the entire means test you'll have a pretty good idea what your allowable expenses are for bk purposes.
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

of course your expenses include food... and if your income is from unemployment, that can (sometimes) be totally exempted.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09
                        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

This is so nervewrecking, But I guess you all have been through it and your still alive , Thanks for all the help!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X