Question on listing assets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on listing assets

When listing assets...what exactly do I put down for Household goods/furniture? I know I have to list my sofa, tv's, etc. But what about little things like jewerly boxes, dvd stands, childrens toys, kitchen things like plates, cups, pans, mops, brooms, etc. Where to you draw the line on what to list and what not to list?

Thanks!
    370K Secured Debt / 53K Unsecured Debt
    Ch 7 Filed 08/31/09
    341 on 10/07/09
    Last day to object 12/07/09 - Discharged 12/28/09

just say "household goods" and be done with it. estimate it at say $1000 and that's that. only if you have an item that's very valueable itself should you list it separately.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Do I need to value the large items, like sofa, tv, kitchen table, ect seperately or include them in the estimate?
      Ch 7 Filed 08/31/09
      341 on 10/07/09

Comment

unless your tv is a $1000 plasma or your sofa is some $1000 leather, you don't need to list separately.

think about it this way: if you were to try to sell all your household goods, what could you realistically get for them?

my lawyer said he writes $1000 total for all his clients without even thinking...
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Oh okay, I think I got it....

Thanks!
          Ch 7 Filed 08/31/09
          341 on 10/07/09

Comment

Originally posted by cfgdag View Post
            When listing assets...what exactly do I put down for Household goods/furniture? I know I have to list my sofa, tv's, etc. But what about little things like jewerly boxes, dvd stands, childrens toys, kitchen things like plates, cups, pans, mops, brooms, etc. Where to you draw the line on what to list and what not to list?

Thanks!
            Like you, I didn't know where to start to list my stuff...it's not as if I have "nice things", so I put $500. When my attorney was looking over my figures, he was like, "let's just put the going rate of $1200, that's a safe number the Trustee won't look twice at and he won't think you're hiding anything"...so $1200 it was....
            He said this included gardening stuff, lawn mower, fridge, stove, microwave, etc. You get the point, this stuff adds up quickly.
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Think like you are going to your local yard sales and see some of the appliances listed for $50.00. Or go to your local Good Will store and see what prices they have on things. 'Hub bought two pairs of shoes today for $8.00+change. Both are nice shoes, barely used. One pair would easily sell for $150.00+ in a retail shoe store, the other for about $75.00 or so.

Here is a link to a fellow poster, Dirk Squarejaw, when asking for help in pricing his stuff. The thread actually got quite funny:

The truth is, we all tend to over estimate what our stuff is worth--because it is OUR stuff!! We are special after all. No. We are simply like everyone else trying to make it through life.

The value of each item you have--even if you paid hundreds of dollars for it--is in fact, worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it. If it is $0.00, then that item is valueless and goes to the landfill.

Good luck~~~
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Also, I should add that you should just give a 'category of things' such as 'assorted kitchen utensils' 'assorted cookware', etc. No one wants to know how many knives, spoons, forks, or pots and pans you have.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

All you have to list is garage sale value. And the furniture is exempted. Nobody cares about your household assets unless you have big TV, Jewelery etc..

Comment

Originally posted by bkfdrusa View Post
                    All you have to list is garage sale value. And the furniture is exempted. Nobody cares about your household assets unless you have big TV, Jewelery etc..

Not necessarily true. You keep posting things that may be true for you but not everyone else.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X