top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many passed the means test if you were "slightly" above median income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many passed the means test if you were "slightly" above median income?

We are about $2k above our state's median income and our attorney is figuring it out right now. I have taken several means tests online including the one done by the member on the forum and based on our other expenses we passed.
    Thanks

We passed and we are about $9000 above the median.
    6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
    10/06/2009 Discharged
    01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

I am 21k over the median, filed ch 7 and had my 341 yesterday....it's all about expenses.
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I was about $1800 over median and passed the means test. Filed Ch. 7 pro se and had no problems.
        Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
        341 Meeting: 1/7/09
        Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
        Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

Over the median, had negative on the means test and schedule J. We had our 341 today; no questions about expenses asked, just if everything was accurate.
          Filed Ch. 7 on 6/1/09
          341 Meeting on 6/30/09
          Awaiting discharge...

Comment

We were over the median by $23k and had a negative means and schedule J. I agree with liz417, "it's all about expenses."
            5/29/09 ~ filed chapter 7
            7/13/09 ~ 341 meeting
            10/8/09 ~ Discharged!!!
            10/27/09 ~ Closed!!!

Comment

Oh, this is good news!! Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flower04 View Post
                Oh, this is good news!! Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!
                I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

These internet means test are a joke. I took the test and completely failed it. I then went to my BK Attny and despite my income was well outside the norm, I had enough debt to be allowed to file CH7.
                  So don't always judge the book by its cover (wink). I question how many fail the interent test only to be ok when they sit with an attny.
                  Filed: 01/23/08
                  341 Meeting: 02/29/08
                  Discharged: 04/30/08
                  Closed: 05/12/08

Comment

I was waaayyy over median - but negative after expenses. That is the key, what is left over to fund the 13? If you are negative after expenses you are clearly chapter 7 material.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

What type of expenses? I certainly do not want to inflate anything, but when I look at what we actually bring home and what is left over yet, the means test shows we have around $200 left. They do not inlcude our loan payments to the 401k however, we have no choice put to pay those you cannot get out that unless you quit your job. We are around $6000 over median for family of 4 and problem is we have 21 year old twins in college but cannot count any expenses except food, and health care costs for them.
                      Any ideas?

Comment

Florida..we were $35K above...family of 4 in Florida

Comment

Originally posted by timeouts1 View Post
                          What type of expenses? I certainly do not want to inflate anything, but when I look at what we actually bring home and what is left over yet, the means test shows we have around $200 left. They do not inlcude our loan payments to the 401k however, we have no choice put to pay those you cannot get out that unless you quit your job. We are around $6000 over median for family of 4 and problem is we have 21 year old twins in college but cannot count any expenses except food, and health care costs for them.
                          Any ideas?
                          Term life Insurance policies for both husband and wife might take care of most the $200 if you don't already have it.
                          6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
                          10/06/2009 Discharged
                          01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

Or, the premiums for both long and shortterm disability polices.
                            Also, do you tithe or make regular charitable contributions?

b)

(1) After notice and a hearing, the court, on its own motion or on a motion by the United States trustee, trustee (or bankruptcy administrator, if any), or any party in interest, may dismiss a case filed by an individual debtor under this chapter whose debts are primarily consumer debts, or, with the debtor's consent, convert such a case to a case under chapter 11 or 13 of this title, if it finds that the granting of relief would be an abuse of the provisions of this chapter. In making a determination whether to dismiss a case under this section, the court may not take into consideration whether a debtor has made, or continues to make, charitable contributions (that meet the definition of "charitable contribution" under section 548(d)(3)) to any qualified religious or charitable entity or organization (as that term is defined in section 548(d)(4)).

Comment

I was also way way over like 30k but was negitive from J&I and my 341 went well.

all about expenses.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X