Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble in NC...

New to forum and hello.

I seen to have gotten myself into a bit of trouble. I'll keep it short. Had business for two years that fell on its face due to the economy. Left my husband and myself in massive CC debt. I got job soon after business went belly up, husband couldn"t find job until 2 months ago. (We still qualify for the means test)

Jobs have been paying for mortgage, food, cars (2), clothing, and a few of the lower cards a month. All secured debt being paid on time. However this still leaves about $125,000 in CC debt (about 80% from business).

Have spoken to BK attorney who wasn't sure "until today" how to proceed. House purchased 3 years ago for a very high price is showing $83,000 in excess equity after execmptions when recent appraisel done. Problem with appraisel is that there are no recent comps, as they are all over 1 year old. In this economy the houses are just not selling. Attorney says we should file Chapter 7 anyway, and use houses for sale as comparisons (gets me very nervous).

Question (and thanks for sticking w/me) how would you proceed w/such a high appraisel? My reservations with this attorney, are they founded? Has anyone had dealings with an attorney near Moore County and can email me their information? (Guessing not allowed to post specifics on form)

Thanks for your help all!

I'd recommend seeing 2-3 more lawyers.

Sadly I'm in the NW part of the state and don't have a recommendation for a lawyer in Moore County.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Thank you GrdnDelight and JRScott for your replies.

Was thinking about getting a CMA (Cost Market Analysis?) from a real astate agent. Wondering if this is the same as a BMO? Just not sure if this would hold up in court.

Was also wondering since I live in NC and we have the provision of "Tenancy By the Entireties" if the whole house would be exempt? All CC debt is in seperate names w/no joint accounts. I hope someone knows about this.

Am in the Middle District Court of NC and would love any recommendations. Doesn't need to be Moore County, will travel for an experienced attorney considering my case seems complex.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

A CMA would probably work, I"d try to talk to a Real Estate agent and let them know you'd want it sold fast for the CMA, I'd consult a lawyer, I'm in the western district so I don't know any lawyers in the middle district.

Yes if you qualify for tenancy by the entireties then if only one of you is filing the house should be protected, another question for a lawyer consultation.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X