Law enforcement career after bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwilliams View Post
    My dh got his application packet for his corrections job. It does ask if you've ever filed bankruptcy and it asks for a lot of financial info, including a budget and list of creditors. We aren't quite sure yet how to answer those questions.
    How about honestly. Not trying to be an A-hole, but if for a minute they think he's lying he'll NEVER get a job in law enforcement. They'll flag it and he be labeled dishonest. You can't be in law enforcement without integrity. You could never go to court and testify.

Since all law enforcement applications asked where "else" you applied they'd find out he lied on the 1st application! Even a hint of dishonesty and he's done. Its better for him to tell the truth and be told that he has to wait and reapply later.

If you guys are close to filing then your overhead a bit. I'm sure it shows on the credit reports, which law enforcement agencies pull. Lates, collections, charges are bad.

Comment

What I'm saying is should we give more information than is required? If we fill it out today, the answer the bankruptcy question is no. After July 15 it will be yes. So I'm not sure if we should include any other information yet or just answer the questions correctly, as of the day the application is filled out, to the best of our ability. And I say "we" because Dh will need help with the financial information they request as I am the "nerd" in the family. I'm not saying to hide the fact that we're in the process. I just know that when Dh starts talking he gets nervous and may say more than he should.

We do have late pays on the credit report, I do know that.

He is middle aged (late 30s), has military experience, previous corrections experience and security experience. He doesn't have a college degree, but his supervisor has told him that he would give a recommendation for a promotion if he got one because he is a great employee and would make a good supervisor or manager with the security agency.

Our plan B is that I get a full time job - already applied for a few at the new location - and he can see about a transfer with his current company to the new city, get settled in, have him complete a 2 year degree in Criminal Justice and either try for a promotion or try for the corrections job again.
      C in GA - Filed Chapter 7 Aug '09
      341 Hearing Oct 8, '09 - DONE

Comment

You can answer the question now as long as your not trying to hide or elude. Since your husband gets nervous I'd caution against it. When he takes the lie detector he may show a false reading because he's thinking about the pending BK.

Sometimes just being honest and open and putting it on the table is the best course of action. If he can explain circumstances that led to the BK and its understandable, they'll look past it. Are your bills current? If your not that's a big flag. If you've been late in the last few months that's also bad. If you were late a few months ago, but current now you can explain what happened.

If your indebt because of recklessness or living beyond your means, its hard to tell them that you've learn from it and now being responsible when your still late etc.

Remember, they look at history, so if you have collections, charge offs, etc that's bad. Now if this is the first time you've been late and think BK because of an uncontrollable circumstance like pay loss, job loss, unexpected medical, etc. then you can explain that. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I think it's just going to depend. I filed and have worked in many law enforcement agencies since then - and worked as a collector while in BK. It all depends on the agency, not every law enforcement agency has the same screening process.
          I'm not a lawyer or legal expert, just offering advice on what I may have gone through and/or have knowledge of. Good luck!
          341-done
          Last date for objections: 02/21/06 - done
          Discharged: 02/24/06
          Case closed: 3/8/06

Comment

Dh got his letter stating he passed the first test and should receive another letter regarding the date of the next phase. So we shall see what happens.
            C in GA - Filed Chapter 7 Aug '09
            341 Hearing Oct 8, '09 - DONE

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X