Bk and the landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bk and the landlord

Does anyone know if your landlord will get notified of your bk if you don't have a security deposit with them? I'm renting month-to-month from a friend of a friend and I don't want this guy to know about the bk. This is a house with 3 separate apartments and the owner of the house lives in one apartment, my friend has one, and I have one. He never asked for a security deposit from me. Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.

If you don't list the landlord on your creditor matrix, he/she will not be notified. I did pay a security deposit and my attorney made a notation to that effect in my paperwork but they were not listed as a creditor and therefore not notified of the BK.

Good luck!
    CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
    341 Meeting 4/7/2009
    Discharged 7/10/2009
    Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
      If you don't list the landlord on your creditor matrix, he/she will not be notified. I did pay a security deposit and my attorney made a notation to that effect in my paperwork but they were not listed as a creditor and therefore not notified of the BK.

Good luck!
      Really? I thought that if you had a lease then you have to to reaffirm just like you would with anything you were making payments on. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. And thanks--I need all the luck I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by uneasy View Post
        Really? I thought that if you had a lease then you have to to reaffirm just like you would with anything you were making payments on. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. And thanks--I need all the luck I can get.
        Here's another thread on this issue:

I'm pretty sure that an apartment lease doesn't need to be reaffirmed.
        CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
        341 Meeting 4/7/2009
        Discharged 7/10/2009
        Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

I think you can get away with it because a M to M is not "technically" an executory contract, which I believe part of the definition of an EC is a contract past 30 days. Since M to M rental agreements expire after 30 days ( and then are renewed upon payment of rent or ended by notice) they are not technically executory in nature, although I have seen some folks disagree.

If you have a M to M and don't owe back rent, I personally woulddn't list the LL.

But that is my opinion only, not legal advice.

Comment

Great. It looks like this won't be a problem. HHM says that they don't have to be listed on the mailing matrix even if you have a lease and I don't even have a lease. One less thing to worry about. Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X