Bank Account Lien?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SocalBroke View Post
    I don't think they would bother for that low an amount. I have kept about $100 in my Wells Fargo. There was another thread on here which linked to an article which seemed to indicate they only do it if you have $5000.00 or more in your accounts. Also, from what I understood, they would normally do it within a week of your filing, though I could be wrong on that.
    I had my money split between a checking account and a savings account. The checking account had about $1,500 and the savings the rest. Both accounts were frozen once Wells Fargo discovered my BK filing which was only a few days after the paperwork was submitted. I would *not* recommend leaving more than absolutely neccesary to keep the account active during the process.

Comment

So, does anyone think I have to worry???? as of the 16 of June...my last dep of 600.00 they didn't freeze it and I took the money out.I filed on June 12th 09. I have another dep of 600.00 due to go in on the 30th of June and then retirement on July 1st of 447.00. How do you know if they freeze it??? Do you call or just go get the money and they tell you right there?
      filed June 12,09
      341 July 20,09
      deadline to object Sept 18,09

Comment

Denise, read the entire thread. Look at what the OP had to go thru to get his money. I would move my account so the direct deposits no longer go into a Wells Fargo account - JMO.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I thought that once you filed you have that automatic stay and they can't freeze your account???
          filed June 12,09
          341 July 20,09

Comment

My deposits are very low amounts....I don't have money...One of these is a gov dep for a Military retirement that is 447.00...those people are so hard to get a hold of to change things. The other is alimony at 600.00 every other week....Do you really think I should stop these and have them send checks.....really???
            filed June 12,09
            341 July 20,09

Comment

Originally posted by denisejohn65 View Post
              My deposits are very low amounts....I don't have money...One of these is a gov dep for a Military retirement that is 447.00...those people are so hard to get a hold of to change things. The other is alimony at 600.00 every other week....Do you really think I should stop these and have them send checks.....really???
              IMO, If you absolutely need to have an account for direct deposits, open an account at a local credit union. IMO, you run a very high risk of having your funds frozen by Wells Fargo likely at the worst possible time if you keep a balance of any significance in your WF account while you are going through the filing process.

At the very least, as checks post to your WF account, pull as much cash out as possible and pay bills via money orders or cash to just keep the account running in good standing so if your account does indeed get frozen, you minimize as much as possible the amount of funds getting tied up or potentially lost if the Trustee seizes any or all money.

Once the BK is discharged, you can go back to business banking as usual with no fear of having your bank freezing funds, but from the time you file your paperwork before your hearing to the point it's discharged, there will always be a risk with Wells Fargo freezing your account.

Comment

Wells Fargo Administrative Freeze

I went with my friend to file Chapter 7 because her husband just died. Wells fargo put an administrative Freeze on the funds that were in her account ($2500) the money was exempt because it was social securty death benefits but she was a signer on her mothers account and they put a hold on her account for $9400. After searching the web I found that Wells Fargo scans the BK filings to see if any of its depositors have filed and if they find them the put a freeze on their funds.
                Last edited by mlife; 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Comment

Just when I thought the worst was over, even more rediculous crap connected with my Ch7 has happened. As it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, I will be starting a new one..........

Comment

Keep us posted. I had more crap with CU, GTEFCU sent me a letter yesterday, Saying since I caused them a loss , My name will be read at a special meeting to expell me from every having a CU account. Of course I do not care, I told them to close my account when they tried to get me to reaffirm it, after they show it as bkrptcy on credit report.
                    THey tried to tell me if I paid they would give me back my debit card. then they never sent it to me. I am also receiving letters to try and collect debt that is part of bkrptcy.
                    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X