Question about an expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about an expense

DH and I are hoping we can file at the end of this month but there's something we're unsure of.

We gathered up the last six months of income information and used the average income and the average taxes withheld info to take the means test. We were over the state median but passes the means test because we only had $40 of disposable income.

One of the expenses we claimed was for our health insurance. Can we include the health insurance on the means test if we've only had it for 1 month or do we have to have it for the entire look back period? I just changed jobs in February and became eligible for insurance March 9. Before that, my employer didn't offer it.

Originally posted by limegreen260 View Post
    DH and I are hoping we can file at the end of this month but there's something we're unsure of.

We gathered up the last six months of income information and used the average income and the average taxes withheld info to take the means test. We were over the state median but passes the means test because we only had $40 of disposable income.

One of the expenses we claimed was for our health insurance. Can we include the health insurance on the means test if we've only had it for 1 month or do we have to have it for the entire look back period? I just changed jobs in February and became eligible for insurance March 9. Before that, my employer didn't offer it.
    Limegreen (love the name),

My lawyer recommended I go out and buy health insurance as a way of increasing my expenses before I file. I have been without health insurance for about 6 months and was willing to go longer as a way of saving $$, but my lawyer said I need the expenses, so I am going to add it. I was also not insuring or driving my car (shared a car with my son) as a way of saving $$, but my lawyer told me I needed that expense too, so I have reinsured my car and it is back on the road again. So, what I learned from my lawyer is that is just fine to add in expenses just before you file.

Comment

We're in the process of adding term life insurance as a monthy expense with the blessing of our attorney.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've been wanting to get life insurance too but haven't been able to afford it. I think I'll check into it now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X