lawyer being pushy about getting my packet back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lawyer being pushy about getting my packet back

i just paid off my BK so then i get a huge packet of information i need, my last 8 paystubs...my car deed, a few years worth of income tax stubs, mos worth of my bfs income how do they expect me todo this in a week? im freaking out! what if i take longer than a week to get all this? will they just add more fees?
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

Honestly, if you make an "appointment with yourself" for 2 hours and devote that two hours to getting it done, with NO interuption (i.e. the reason to make an appointment), you can do this.

I don't think the atttorney will add more fees, he/she is probably just trying to keep you focused (i.e. doing you a favor).

Comment

HHM is correct - no one likes that packet of information and I am the kind of person that grabs the ball and runs with it when tossed to me; when we received that packet, I/we procrastinated for days wringing our hands. The longer you take, the longer it takes to file your matter. Clear off a table, spread the stuff out and grab the ball and run - you will be surprised that you will be able to get it done and in much less time than you think.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Okay here are a few tips.

The hardest to get will be the IRS ones if you didn't keep records like most folks, you'll have to contact them and get them to send you copies, which takes a few weeks .

Next if you haven't kept paystubs go to your place of employment and ask for copies of the paystubs for the last 6 months. Have BF do the same.

Car deed should be in a safe place , so should be easy to find.

Bank Statements if your bank allows go online and print out the last 2 months worth of statements.

Same with credit cards etc.

You can do it a week is kinda fast but get what you can in the week and then work with the lawyer. It may be necessary to wait a bit more time depending . The more you gather now the better later, your lawyer sounds like he's trying to get everything he expects the trustee to want to see up front so that he's prepared from the start.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

yeah, they are not pussy footing around! My paralegal just wrote me an email saying how much longer it would take to get all the documents including my pre BK counseling certificate. I wrote back 2 weeks cause i have requested some of the documents and im trying to schedule my counseling now....has anyone else had a problem filling out these packets and getting all that info so quickly?
          retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
          10/30/10- WEDDING!!
          09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

You did the right thing. Tell the attorney the time frame you expect to have it done and then do your best to get it done by the time frame you stated. Tell them it's in your best interest to get these things to them as soon as possible and please do not continue with their inquires you unless you missed the timetable you set forth.

Comment

Originally posted by bk4sky View Post
              yeah, they are not pussy footing around! My paralegal just wrote me an email saying how much longer it would take to get all the documents including my pre BK counseling certificate. I wrote back 2 weeks cause i have requested some of the documents and im trying to schedule my counseling now....has anyone else had a problem filling out these packets and getting all that info so quickly?

We did our pre-filing counseling online in about 15 minutes. Spent another 10 minutes talking with a "counselor" on the phone who then sent us our certificates via e-mail instantly. Within 1/2 hour we were done with that process and $30 poorer. I don't think much scheduling is required.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

They just sound like they are trying to keep you on track. We filled out our paperwork and had it back to the attorney within 24 hours. I just wanted to get going. It took them 3 weeks to get everything into their computer system and file with the court. That could also be the reason for the rush. They are trying to get you filed by a certain date and it takes time to process all the information that you give them.

Good luck...
                Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
                341 - 2/5/09
                Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

Just remember the beginning of the process is very paperwork heavy and unfortunately necessary. A good lawyer will ask you for alot of information. It is their job to represent YOU so that YOUR outcome is favorable. If you and your lawyer are really thorough with the paperwork then you stand a better chance of not having any issues at your 341 or with the Trustee.
                  Filed C7: 12/16/08; 341 Meeting: 1/22/09
                  Last Day for Objections: 3/23/09 (No Objections)
                  Discharged: 4/3/09
                  Closed: 3/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreRed View Post
                    Just remember the beginning of the process is very paperwork heavy and unfortunately necessary. A good lawyer will ask you for alot of information. It is their job to represent YOU so that YOUR outcome is favorable. If you and your lawyer are really thorough with the paperwork then you stand a better chance of not having any issues at your 341 or with the Trustee.

Well said!
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X