top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I cash a financial aid check from my school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I cash a financial aid check from my school?

I am turning my chap 7 paperwork in tomorrow. I just received a $700 check from my school for financial aid and I need to cash it to pay for summer classes. The check is a Wells Fargo check and I bank with Wells Fargo. I have a credit card through Wells Fargo right now that hasn't been paid in a loooong time so I don't even use my checking account in fear that they will just pull money from there to cover the credit card debt. Can I just go into another bank and cash this check or can it still be seen that I cashed this check? I don't want to cause any problems with my case. Thanks in advance!

You could always open a new checking account with another bank that you don't have any bad loans or credit cards with. You'll need to do that anyway if your relationship with Wells Fargo is shot. Then just deposit it there and start using that account instead of Wells Fargo from here on.
    Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
    Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
    Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Comment

Are you trying not to show that cash when you file? Or will it be gone when you file? If you need to cash it, I dont think it would be a problem going to another branch. They dont check on you as the casher, just the account...hope that helps..and yes get another checking account before you file..you'll need it for sure. Go for one of the smaller banks, they are way better to work with anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by ready2puke View Post
        Are you trying not to show that cash when you file? Or will it be gone when you file? If you need to cash it, I dont think it would be a problem going to another branch. They dont check on you as the casher, just the account...hope that helps..and yes get another checking account before you file..you'll need it for sure. Go for one of the smaller banks, they are way better to work with anyway...
        Ot will be gone in a week or two when I pay for my summer classes. Thanks so much for your help. And can I ask why I should open another checking before I file, instead of after? I would think after would be better... not sure why :-/

Comment

Go to Walmart. They cash all types of checks with the exception of personal checks. They charge $3. I cash my state checks there when the bank is closed and I need some cash quick or maybe even a currency exchange.

Hearts

Comment

Just my opinion here but if you open it before you wont have a bk on your record

Originally posted by hboyd4 View Post
            Ot will be gone in a week or two when I pay for my summer classes. Thanks so much for your help. And can I ask why I should open another checking before I file, instead of after? I would think after would be better... not sure why :-/
            If the bank checks that is...

Comment

Originally posted by hboyd4 View Post
              I am turning my chap 7 paperwork in tomorrow. I just received a $700 check from my school for financial aid and I need to cash it to pay for summer classes. The check is a Wells Fargo check and I bank with Wells Fargo. I have a credit card through Wells Fargo right now that hasn't been paid in a loooong time so I don't even use my checking account in fear that they will just pull money from there to cover the credit card debt. Can I just go into another bank and cash this check or can it still be seen that I cashed this check? I don't want to cause any problems with my case. Thanks in advance!
              Are you going to summer classes at the same school? Is this from government money/Stafford Loan money received by the school to pay for your classes or is this an overage of the tuition amount to cover books, etc.? If you are attending at the same school, my daughter's college keeps the tuition amount and just sends her any overage amount from her Stafford Loan for that year which covers her books, etc. She does not receive a check for tuition so I am wondering if you could just return that check to the school and have them put it to your tuition for summer classes or sign it over to the college doing your summer classes.

Since you state the check came from the school, I am assuming they have received funds for you and I am just questioning why they sent you a check for tuition if you would be attending classes there.
              Last edited by Flamingo; 03-14-2009, 04:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I recently received my student loan check for $2,000 and I am in the middle of my Ch.7. The Trustee has not said anything about it. I've paid for school-related expenses with the money (books, fuel, food, etc.). To the best of my knowledge, you are fine paying for school expenses with it. Don't go out and buy a new car or anything though, just in case they do ask you about it.
                Ch. 7 Filed: 1/29/2009 Done!
                341 Mtg: 3/12/2009 Done!
                Discharged: 8/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X