Second car ownership expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second car ownership expense

So I was using DebtStinks' calculator to do the means test for myself, and unlike on the means test forms, it suggests that most localities will not let you take that expense if you don't owe on the vehicle.

All of my calculations thus far have relied on that. I own two cars, owe on one, but have the expense of operating both.

Is that going to be a problem for me?

As I read more about this, it's becoming clear that where I am matters - I'm in the western washington bankruptcy court district

Comment

Is it just you filing or is it joint?
      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
      341 09/17/2008
      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
        Is it just you filing or is it joint?
        my wife and I will be filing jointly for better or worse

Comment

You can take the Operating Expense for two cars, but not the ownership expense for both cars. However, some States have litigated this (like Massachusetts) and allow you to claim it. You will need to see how your particular State and District handle this.

FYI: i couldn't find any Washington State caselaw in my searches.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            You can take the Operating Expense for two cars, but not the ownership expense for both cars. However, some States have litigated this (like Massachusetts) and allow you to claim it. You will need to see how your particular State and District handle this.

FYI: i couldn't find any Washington State caselaw in my searches.
            Yeah, I've been googling it all morning since this may completely foil my plans. Would be awesome if anyone from western washington or seattle could weigh in, if they know.

Comment

Good article on the topic:

Vehicle Ownership Expense Deduction: Fixed Allowance or Cap on Actual Expense?

My wife was driving a junker... 96 ford that was on it's last leg. We made the decision to go out and buy an almost new car (2008 with 9k miles) while our credit is still good (not late on anything yet, but it's coming soon). We needed the car and we will keep making the payments through the bankruptcy. The extra deduction is also a HUGE help. Plus if we tried to buy after the bankruptcy our interest rate would have sucked back. We got 7.75% and the payment like $275 which isn't bad at all.
              Filed Chapter 7: 06/09/09
              341 Meeting: 07/16/09
              Discharged: 09/21/09
              Case Closed: 09/25/09

Comment

I know that article from the ABI as I read it months ago. However, as you read the article, you'll see how messed up the different Districts are. There is still no consistency amongst the Districts.

I purposely kept a car (2003) in my plan because of the "extra" money I get for having the car. (It's basically $200/month and I get the other $289/month as part of my general budget!!!). Shhhhhh...
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by lolasaurus View Post
                  As I read more about this, it's becoming clear that where I am matters - I'm in the western washington bankruptcy court district
                  Me too. Two cars, single filer, one new with no equity, another 2004 owned outright which is an asset. I'm hoping the wild-card will cover the 2004.

I'm guessing you're over median?
                  No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

Originally posted by Chowder View Post
                    Me too. Two cars, single filer, one new with no equity, another 2004 owned outright which is an asset. I'm hoping the wild-card will cover the 2004.

I'm guessing you're over median?
                    By about $20k... $30k if you count my bonus that won't be repeated next year :\

Comment

I guess we really need to find an attorney and just get his opinion, I was kind of hoping to do this pro se because it's interesting to me, but little things like this will make it really difficult to speak with any confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by lolasaurus View Post
                        I guess we really need to find an attorney and just get his opinion, I was kind of hoping to do this pro se because it's interesting to me, but little things like this will make it really difficult to speak with any confidence.

If you're $30,000 over median I'd look to an attorney for advice for sure.
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X