Who decides on filing date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who decides on filing date?

I'll be filing in March, hopefully late march but I have weekly chemo treatments I have to make, can I request a certain date for the 341 or is it a toss up??

nope it's assigned by the court......
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

How much notice are you given??

Comment

You will have about a month's notice.
        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

That absolutely SUCKS!! I get paid on the 15th of each month and I wanted the date to be right before I get paid so that way I'll know when to have $30 in my checking on the day I file.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
            That absolutely SUCKS!! I get paid on the 15th of each month and I wanted the date to be right before I get paid so that way I'll know when to have $30 in my checking on the day I file.
            You can file any day the court is open. The other poster is curious about scheduling of the 341 meeting.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

ok thanks!

Comment

So then my attorney can file on the 13th or 14th when I'm down to $20 bucks in my checking account and that's the snapshot they will get?

When you file, do they want to see a screen shot of your bank balance for that day? How does that all work?

Comment

To the OP, I remember the chemo treatments and they can be debilitating - why don't you discuss with your attorney to see if there is anyway the Trustee can work with you on the 341 date. There must be some latitude by a few days.
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

OP, in my district they are ALWAYS held on either the 1st or the 15th of each month. perhaps your district has a similarly regular schedule and you can plan accordingly. Or, as the previous poster said, ask for some assistance given your particular situation.

Comment

starting and wonk, good ideas. I'll ask my attorney how that goes and if permitted, get a day that works better. thanks.

Comment

So then my attorney can file on the 13th or 14th when I'm down to $20 bucks in my checking account and that's the snapshot they will get?

When you file, do they want to see a screen shot of your bank balance for that day? How does that all work?
                        Essentially, this is true. In accounting terms you are submitting a balance sheet which is a mathematical formula:

Assets= Liabilities (debts) + Owner's Equity.

If you have $0 or negative Owners Equity OR the value of your exemptions is equal to or greater than the value of your assets on the date of filing you'll become a No Asset case.

A balance sheet is a picture of your life at one moment which can change in a matter of seconds. The court looks at your balance sheet as it is on the day you file.
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

So what do they do when they see $360,000+ of debt on my balance sheet with maybe $2000-3000 worth of equity in property? How does this affect me?

Each one of my cars is $6000 to $25000 upside down.

Comment

So what do they do when they see $360,000+ of debt on my balance sheet with maybe $2000-3000 worth of equity in property? How does this affect me?

Each one of my cars is $6000 to $25000 upside down.
                            Your formula : $3,000= $360,000 + (-$357,000)

You have negative $357,000 Owners Equity.

Reads like no asset to me. How is a car $25,000 upside down?

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                              Reads like no asset to me. How is a car $25,000 upside down?
                              When our payoff is about $37,000 and the auction price is maybe $22,000 to $25,000 if the bank repo's it and sells it.

We racked up a ton of miles in a short time... almost 30,000 miles in less than a year and a half.

KBB trade-in shows $24,800 in EXCELLENT condition.
                              Good is $23,500
                              Poor is $21,150.

The bank will probably auction it off close to $20,000. The car dealer will need to buy it cheap so they can make a good profit when trying to sell it.

$37,000 - $22,000 = $15000.

My other car I owe $12,000+ and it's maybe worth close to $5,000.

So it all depends on what the cars will go on the auction... which I am sure will be VERY low in this terrible economy.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X