coming to house to look at my stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coming to house to look at my stuff

Do they open drawers and closets? Do they make an appointment with you or do they come unannounced? I work and have crazy hours. Does my daughter have to let them in if I am not home? I want to be here when they come.

It is unusual that they would send anyone.

The Trustee would inform you that he would have someone coming by. You could then set a time up with him.

Generally they are looking for big ticket items. The only drawers they typically will examine are the jewelry box or drawer to make sure that there is nothing not listed.

Unless the Trustee has told you or your lawyer has told you the trustee said someone was coming I would not overly worry about it.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
      It is unusual that they would send anyone.

The Trustee would inform you that he would have someone coming by. You could then set a time up with him.

Generally they are looking for big ticket items. The only drawers they typically will examine are the jewelry box or drawer to make sure that there is nothing not listed.

Unless the Trustee has told you or your lawyer has told you the trustee said someone was coming I would not overly worry about it.
      Correct: it would be unusual indeed for the trustee to want to come out to your house. The only time I have seen it happen is with a debtor who closed a business and moved the business assets to the garage. The trustee sent someone to inspect the business assets.

This is something you don't need to worry about.

And as was mentioned, the trustee would make an appointment to do so.

Comment

It is not that unusal...we are a garden-variety couple who filed CH 7 due to cc debt. With our dumb luck we were assigned a trustee who is a stickler for trying to investigate possible undisclosed assets.

Anyhow, at our 341 the trustee said an appraiser would be calling us to set up an appointment to appraise our belongings at our home (which is a small apartment). A few weeks later, the appraiser called up and set up an appointment time. He set it up at a convinent time (after work).

He did not go through our drawers at all. Our closets are large so he looked in them, but he did not study everything. He basically asked to see what we had listed on bankruptcy papers as assets (such as electronics, jewerly,etc.)

I was upset when the trustee said she wanted our stuff appraised, because our lawyer had told us that this only happened to people who were "living in mansions on the beach yet declaring bankruptcy". But the appraiser himself was very nice and considerate.

We still have to see if the trustee agrees with the appraisers assestment..We shall see...

I know it's easier said than done, but don't sweat it. Just clean the clutter so it's easy to see what you have/don't have. Be open and honest.

Hope this helps,
        Footprints
        Last edited by Footprints1973; 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          Correct: it would be unusual indeed for the trustee to want to come out to your house. The only time I have seen it happen is with a debtor who closed a business and moved the business assets to the garage. The trustee sent someone to inspect the business assets.

This is something you don't need to worry about.
          I don't think this is just random nervousness; I think they've actually notified her that they're coming, isn't that right? I'm glad that Footprints was able to offer some first-hand experience, and what sounds like good advice, too.

What ever happened with your original attorney, Peppylady?

Good luck to you.
          Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
          341 meeting: July 18, 2008
          last day for objections: September 16, 2008
          DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

I don't have that much furniture I don't believe in clutter up the place and using every wall with stuff. I live in a condo my daughter and grandson livie with me so some of the stuff is hers I guess I shouldn't sweat it. How can anyone list EVERYTHING they own it is totall impossible.

Comment

When I filed my lawyer told me to just throw out a number (I exempted $3,000 in all of my personal items). I didn't actually have to sit down and list EVERY single stinking thing I own. And I also have the situation that My fiance also has his own stuff and I filed, obviously, before our Wedding. (Which is next week!!! )

Sorry! ADD - At any rate. My heart goes out to ya Peppy. Did they actually say they wanted to come check out your place?
              FILED!: August 11, 2008 * Pre-Filing Fico Score - 643 * 341: October 8, 2008 * Last Day for Objections: December 7, 2008
              "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Comment

Been there too.

Footprints and I had the same trustee (and appraiser). I agree he was very considerate and professional.

Footprints advice is also good about showing him all the property you listed on your schedule B. You can also follow him around and let him know what belongs to you and what belongs to your daughter.

In my case I showed him all the defects with the items (cracked pottery, electronics that didnt work, pet damage, etc...) he was appreciative of that as it does greatly effect the value of the item.

I watched some of the prices he put down on my items and realized that the tally was going to be way higher than my $1k exemption. I mentioned that the attorney had told me to use yard sale prices. He said 'thats part of the game' and that he had to put down the 'fair market' price.

I think that it stinks that some of us have to play this 'game'. It would be nice if all trustees in all districts would have some uniform rules to play by. Also, I was sorry to read from your other post that you lost your car to the trustee. Hang in there. Things will get better.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X