60 day waiting period BONUS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 day waiting period BONUS!

Just found out I will be getting a bonus during my waiting period...anyone else ever have this happen? Will the trustee want it? My attorney says it will probably depend on how much I get...could be anywhere from 6% to 10% of my pay! Will the trustee know that I received this?
    Thanks for the help.
    Leftyf
    Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
    341 - February 29th, 2008
    Discharge - June 20th, 2008
    Closed - October, 2008

I would not worry about it too much...it sort of depends on the reason for the bonus, but generally, any income you earn AFTER you FILE is yours to keep.

Comment

Thanks for the response HHM!
      Closed - October, 2008

Comment

Do the trustees monitor your income post 341?
        Closed - October, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by leftyf View Post
          Do the trustees monitor your income post 341?

No. If they file an objection to your discharge or, your case is selected for audit then, they'll start digging.

Comment

My husband got a substantial raise and I got a new job (wasn't working before) after the 341. Unless they are already going to audit you, I don't think it's a huge issue. I think it matters too if you knew about the money and didn't say anything.

Comment

My attorney told me that if my income increased more than 20% during the 60 days I would have to report it but otherwise, no. Someone else says that isn't true.
              Personally I would keep quiet about it unless asked.
              <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
              FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Pa, I definitely agree with you about keeping it quiet. I'm not going to say a thing, but I thought I had better mention it to my attorney. He said something about me having too much debt and they might not ask for it because it won't make much of a dent...he did not say don't worry about it, they won't want it. I'm going to stay on the cynical side and plan on the Trustee asking for it. That way, I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get to keep it. The money is related to a bonus for company profits related to a pre-filing time period, but I was not certain at the time of filing that I would be receiving a bonus or how much of a bonus it would be.
                Thanks for all of the great comments and advice. I thought for sure I would have to hand it over, but now it sounds like there is a decent chance I will get to keep the bonus.
                Lefty
                Closed - October, 2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X