IRS - wish me luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS - wish me luck!

Just got a notice from the IRS. I had an agreement with them to pay $226 a month but at the time, we couldn't afford it. Just got a letter that they are going to levy on my state taxes, possibly my federal taxes, and then they might seek out alternate assets to levy.... SOOOOO, I am going to call them today and see what they can do for me. They want all back payments in 30 days - not possible...

We don't have state taxes in Florida for them to levy. I don't care if they levy my federal return as I figured they would anyway. I just don't want my paycheck to be touched!

Well, I guess the IRS really only goes after you if you totally ignore them. Turns out that there was a paperwork error on their end regarding the direct debits they were supposed to be making - which is ironic because if they tried to debit the account, it would have bounced anyways. But, of course I didn't say that. So, they said they are sending me new paperwork and I will start payments to them on January 15th.

Comment

I have a question, kinda off your topic, but relates to the IRS. If you don't pay taxes (which I do pay) or file income taxes (which I do file), if they catch you, what can they do to you? Can they just try to take your stuff or will they eventually just toss you in the slammer?

Comment

I'm not an expert on this. I filed and paid what I could at the time. But, I think they can make your life a living hell, garnish wages, and tax evasion does carry heafty fines and you could definitely go to jail.

Comment

What Nazstar said. Plus, if you don't pay, the fees and interest start multiplying exponentially.
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Originally posted by nazstar View Post
            I'm not an expert on this. I filed and paid what I could at the time. But, I think they can make your life a living hell, garnish wages, and tax evasion does carry heafty fines and you could definitely go to jail.
            For the average joe, they would file a return for you based on the income they have from W-2's and 1099's without any deductions and send you a inflated bill. It's the Leona Helmsley's of the world that get busted for tax evasion.

The collection people can be nasty and take your assets,bank accounts and wages but they have procedures to go through before they do that.
            I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

I owe money to them too. When I got 05 and 06 done, the guy told me to send them $5 with the 06 return, and they would certainly contact me. They have. Took a little more than a month. I owed $2020. And I was getting a $1 from 05. So now with penalties and interest, and I didn't pay my quarterlies, I owe $2666.00. Should be fun to see what kind of payment plan I'll get.
              Filed November 2 2007
              341 Meeting January 4 2008
              DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

Originally posted by BKcrazy View Post
                I owe money to them too. When I got 05 and 06 done, the guy told me to send them $5 with the 06 return, and they would certainly contact me. They have. Took a little more than a month. I owed $2020. And I was getting a $1 from 05. So now with penalties and interest, and I didn't pay my quarterlies, I owe $2666.00. Should be fun to see what kind of payment plan I'll get.
                I owe $17,500 for 2006 and my payment plan is $263 a month.

Comment

I owe $5K for 2005...I'm paying $100/mo. right now.
                  Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                  Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I owed the IRS $4000 and they set me up a payment plan of $100 a month, but after friggin' penalties and interest I owed close to $5000 the bastards, thank my lucky stars I paid them off! Now we'll see who get whipped next year! Being a gambler, I overpaid on my winnings, so hopefully Uncle Sam will be writing ME a check!

Catchmeifyoucan
                    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by nazstar View Post
                      I owe $17,500 for 2006 and my payment plan is $263 a month.
                      Wow. Ok, it shouldn't be too bad. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow. I had a plan back in 01 or 02, but timing on this is bad.
                      Filed November 2 2007
                      341 Meeting January 4 2008
                      DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X