top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I make payments to my husbands credit cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make payments to my husbands credit cards?

Hello folks, thanks for your help.
    I filed bankruptcy by myself.
    My husband owes a few hundred on his credit cards but he did not go bankrupt.
    We have our checking accounts joint.
    Can I pay his credit cards from our joint checking account?
    What if we make $400 payments? What happens if the trustee requests copies of bank statements and see's payments to american express in the amount of $400 and payments to bank of america for $400? There are for his credit cards and not mine. What do we do in our case where he still owes money? Thanks for your great help.

Well is you husband getting deeper and deeper into debt ?

If he decides to file on his own, don't expect to be paid back anytime soon (but you are married of course).

Typically a "preferential payment," would be ballpark figure of $600 or more.

Best of Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

What I'd be concerned about is the available/disposable income. If you can pay HIS creditors, why can't you pay your own? That is what is going to be going through the trustee's mind.
      11/14/07 -filed C7 12/04/07 -case pulled for random audit.12/18/07 -341 held: Asset case due to engagement ring & tax return.02/19/08 - US trustee files motion to extend. 04/02/08- changed back to NO ASSET! I get my ring back and get to keep my tax return! :clapping: 04/28/08 -DISCHARGED!!! :yahoo::yahoo: 05/07/08 - CLOSED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by inhocknow View Post
        I filed bankruptcy by myself. My husband owes a few hundred on his credit cards but he did not go bankrupt. We have our checking accounts joint. Can I pay his credit cards from our joint checking account? What if we make $400 payments? What happens if the trustee requests copies of bank statements and see's payments to american express in the amount of $400 and payments to bank of america for $400? There are for his credit cards and not mine. What do we do in our case where he still owes money?
        Relax. Your husband did not file bk, only you did. He has money coming into the home too - why would you not use it to pay his bills?? Your trustee has no control over your husband's finances - only over yours as of the day of filing until your case is discharged. Strike this one off your worry list.
        Last edited by lrprn; 10-12-2007, 08:14 AM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
          Relax. Your husband did not file bk, only you did. He has money coming into the home too - why would you not use it to pay his bills?? Your trustee has no control over your husband's finances - only over yours as of the day of filing until your case is discharged. Strike this one off your worry list.
          Thanks for your great help.
          I was only worrying because these checking accounts are the checking accounts listed on my schedules as we are joint on our checking accounts (not on our credit cards)
          I was worrying because if we are making large payments to his credit cards, it might not look good.
          Thanks for your terrific feedback.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X