Buying a Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Vehicle?

I have decided to file for chapter 7 here in California. I have two vehicles which I owe more than they are worth. One is a SUV and the other is a truck. After I made the decesion to file I let the payments go on the SUV. I orinignally planned on keeping the truck so I stayed current with the payments. I have since decided to give up both gas guzzling vehicles and get something more economical with lower monthly payments. My FICO score was crushed since I let my payments go on the Credit cards the last few months. I was able to obtain a co-signer for another vehicle when I am ready to purchase, so being approved for a loan is not an issue. My Bankrupcy attorney told me under the new law he can not advise me on purchases.

Here are my questions:
    When would be the best time to buy? Before I file? After I file? Or after discharge? Basically I need to know if there will be a presumption of abuse?

If I stay current with the payments on the truck I plan on giving up in the bankruptcy, how long will I be able to keep the truck before I must give it up?

Thanks

You would more likely get the best interest rate BEFORE you file ! Best of Luck !

Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Hard to answer

Originally posted by Joe Franco View Post
      I have decided to file for chapter 7 here in California. I have two vehicles which I owe more than they are worth. One is a SUV and the other is a truck. After I made the decesion to file I let the payments go on the SUV. I orinignally planned on keeping the truck so I stayed current with the payments. I have since decided to give up both gas guzzling vehicles and get something more economical with lower monthly payments. My FICO score was crushed since I let my payments go on the Credit cards the last few months. I was able to obtain a co-signer for another vehicle when I am ready to purchase, so being approved for a loan is not an issue. My Bankrupcy attorney told me under the new law he can not advise me on purchases.

Here are my questions:
      When would be the best time to buy? Before I file? After I file? Or after discharge? Basically I need to know if there will be a presumption of abuse?
      IMO, the best time to purchase another vehicle is after your discharge or possibly after the 341 Hearing. It is not recommended that you take on new debts while in active BK. Not to mention, most lenders will not approve a borrower while in active BK.

Originally posted by Joe Franco View Post
      If I stay current with the payments on the truck I plan on giving up in the bankruptcy, how long will I be able to keep the truck before I must give it up?

Thanks
      This mainly depends on the lender. If you are upside down, the lender may drag their feet repossessing the vehicle(s). Nevertheless, lenders will ususally file a motion to lift the stay after the 341 Hearing if you fall behind. From that point, it could take anywhere from 1 to 2 months. Although it could take longer. On the other hand, you could make arrangements with the lender to surrender (deliver) the vehicle to them. That way, you'll know exactly when you'll be needing a replacement vehicle.
      Bankruptcy History:
      Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
      Discharged - 02/16/2006
      Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

I contacted my lender to arrange them coming to pick my vehicle up. I was upside down for 3 months or so at that point and new they would be coming any time. This way I had plenty of time to get my stuff out so they didn't mysteriously show up in the middle of the night and I was missing some personal things..
        (X) - Filed Chap 7 - 11.14.2007
        (X) - Free and Clear - 2.22.2008
        PreBK Scores - 467/428/434 (11/22/2007)
        PostBK Scores - 571/604/583 (3/15/2008) - Rebuilding Begins!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X