new here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here...

can someone please tell me what to expect when we go sign the petition next friday (3/30)?

thanks
    3/30/07 Petition signed
    5/21/07 341 Meeting
    7/20/07 Last day for Objections
    7/25/07 DISCHARGED 7/30/07 CLOSED

You will read through the petition. Make sure everything is listed properly then sign your name. Your lawyer will file it and you will get a case number.

That is it until the 341 meeting. Which should be 30 - 45 days after you file.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Thanks that sounds simple enough. And doens't look like it will be a problem to bring the kids. I would hate to have to find a babysitter.
      3/30/07 Petition signed
      5/21/07 341 Meeting

Comment

Just be sure that you really pay close attention line by line by line as you go through each the forms. The information and figures on each page needs to be accurate and match what you told your lawyer.

We caught several errors on our first pass through our Ch 13 forms. Bk forms are very complex, so it's not unusual for errors to be made by mistake by well-meaning people who don't know your situation. It's up to you to catch any inaccuracies now before the forms are filed to avoid mistakes that could prove costly later on.

If your kids could be a real distraction, it might be best to find a sitter or bring another person along with you who can focus on the kids for the hour or so it typically takes for you and your spouse to go through the forms together.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I will definately make sure to look things over carefully. I wouldn't want there to be any mistakes to complicate the process.

It would be hard to find a sitter, but we did schedule the meeting during naptimes since our oldest is only 2 1/2, and the youngest is 4 months. We will just have take the stroller and let them sleep in it.
          3/30/07 Petition signed
          5/21/07 341 Meeting

Comment

Even the best paralegals slip up too.

We moved, after we hired our attny and before we filed. The paralegal entered our new address in Hubby's info box thinking it would just transfer over to my info box. But the Software program did not do that automatically as she thought it would. When we went to sign our Petition, Hubby had one address and I had another.

The way it worked for us at our signing,.......... The paralegal went over our Petition page by page, having us sign where appropriate. We didn't date any of our signatures. On pages that had errors, the paralegal noted the corrections and we moved on. Then, the paralegal made the corrections, our attny reviewed our petition. The attny dated everything, and filed our petition within a couple of days from our actual office visit.

So you might go in to your attny's office to review and sign. There might be some errors that need correcting. And your actual filing may not occur for a business day or 2.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

account numbers

Just be sure that you really pay close attention line by line by line as you go through each the forms. The information and figures on each page needs to be accurate and match what you told your lawyer.

Double check to make sure secured/unsecured account numbers are accurate too, I had found several discrepancies when I viewed my petition and some to the account numbers were off by one digit, etc.

Best of Luck, CMIYC
              July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
              Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
              Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
              Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

thanks everybody for the info. we printed our credit reports and looked for all the info we could find. some of our debt is quite old 5-6years, and was my just out of highschool and didn't care debt. ahhh yes i was just stupid.

oh i have searched everywhere here for info about wage garnishments. my husband is having his wages garnished... will that come off with the bankruptcy? and if it does when will it stop? they take 220 a month and man that been hurting us. especially since i stay home with our boys and my husband only makes 2000 a month befor taxes, after everthing comes out taxes, health insurance and the garnishment we only get $1200 .... not alot when you have 2 growing boys to feed
                3/30/07 Petition signed
                5/21/07 341 Meeting

Comment

I hope you told your lawyer about the garnishment. The bk filing comes with an automatic stay against any collection activity. The garnishment stops when the creditor is notified of the bk filing. Your lawyer can handle it.

Comment

Yes our lawyer knows. I just keep forgetting to ask him when it will stop. I am very glad to hear it will stop when the BK is filed. That extra 220 will be nice to have.
                    3/30/07 Petition signed
                    5/21/07 341 Meeting

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X