top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get a Chap 7 and eliminate all of my unsecured debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GaCreditGuy

Notice you got your case CLOSED the same day as your DISCHARGE??? Amazing !

CMIYC
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN View Post
      GaCreditGuy

Notice you got your case CLOSED the same day as your DISCHARGE??? Amazing !

CMIYC
      That's cause GACreditGuy didn't get Discharged on time at the end of his 60 days.

His paperwork got lost in a pile and was back logged.

When they did find his file, he got double rubber stamped,............. Discharged and Closed on the same day.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Same with me...my filing fee payment was said to be "not received" when it really was, so when I finally got the court to verify that they got paid, my case was discharged and closed the same day.
        DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. My posts are not legal advice. They are for information only. Please feel free to use them in an academic sense, as I simply wish to share with you what I have learned/researched.

Comment

Originally posted by gacreditguy View Post
          get a good attorney and they will get you through this.
          I agree. You will just drive yourself nuts trying to sort out both your situation and the bk laws that apply. Best to get a competent attorney. It beats getting screwed up and then trying to hire one to fix the problem. Yike!

You got too much to risk there.

Comment

I agree...and the key words are "good" and "competent". While a mediocre lawyer might be able to file a straightforward no-asset, uncontested Chapter 7, there are a lot of issues in this case. You'll definitely want a good one who will file Chapter 7 if possible.

If you can't file Chapter 7, you'll definitely want one who will get you in a position to file Chapter 13. As of this moment, your debts are straddling the Chapter 13 debt limit - you must have less than $307,675 unsecured debt to file Chapter 13. A good attorney will (a) have you wait until April 1 when the debt limit is adjusted for inflation and/or (b) advise you to pay down a little bit of your unsecured debt so that it doesn't meet or exceed the Chapter 13 debt ceiling.

The only alternative to Chapters 7 and 13 is Chapter 11, which is extremely complicated and quite expensive. The only thing fun about it are the aspects of law involved...and only your attorney will be having the fun there!
            DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. My posts are not legal advice. They are for information only. Please feel free to use them in an academic sense, as I simply wish to share with you what I have learned/researched.

Comment

If the majority of your debt is business or personally guaranteed business debt you should be a 7 no matter what. I am going through the same thing with close to the same amount of unsecured debt and my lawyer says that if the "majority" of your debt is personally guaranteed business debt you can go 7.

Hope it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh No View Post
                If the majority of your debt is business or personally guaranteed business debt you should be a 7 no matter what. I am going through the same thing with close to the same amount of unsecured debt and my lawyer says that if the "majority" of your debt is personally guaranteed business debt you can go 7.

Hope it's true.
                How did you make out?

Comment

Originally posted by storesstores View Post
                  More Questions:

#2) If I stop paying all my credit cards and my credit card companies chargeoff the debt and sell it to a collection agency, how will this affect the Bankruptcy? Are collection agencies more or less likely to show up in the courts?
                  Well I can answer this one, from my experience anyway. Almost all of my credit card debts were in collections. Actually all but one. And had been for a long time. There were some cards I hadn't paid on in nearly a year. You can just imagine the harrassing phone calls I was getting. It was constant, every day. Anyway, not a single creditor showed up at my hearing. Not a one.

I'm currently awaiting discharge. It is HEAVENLY to not get ANY phone calls or ANY bills in the mail.
                  Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
                  341 Meeting July 19, 2007
                  Discharged September 17, 2007
                  Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia View Post
                    ...And had been for a long time. There were some cards I hadn't paid on in nearly a year. You can just imagine the harrassing phone calls I was getting. It was constant, every day. Anyway, not a single creditor showed up at my hearing. Not a one.

I'm currently awaiting discharge. It is HEAVENLY to not get ANY phone calls or ANY bills in the mail.
                    I haven't paid on my cards in about FIVE years! can you tell I've been putting this off for a long time? I hope it all runs as smoothly for me. the calls have dwindled (maybe 1-3 a day, if that... and the occasional letter in the mail every few weeks).

to the OP: good luck to you... I agree with the others, sounds like you need a good lawyer. I hope you can file 7 and get it all worked out.
                    Monica
                    planning to file Ch. 7 - soon!

Comment

Originally posted by storesstores View Post
                      How did you make out?
                      SS, member OhNo has not visited the forum in quite some time so it's doubtful you are ever going to get an answer to your question.

This is one more reason why our forum rules state not to post to old threads like this one that have been inactive for more than a few months. Posters tend to come and go quickly since most of our forum members are Ch 7 filers. Once their case is discharged and closed, they stop by much less frequently (if at all).
                      Last edited by lrprn; 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM.
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X