Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Forum, Filling Chap. 7 in TX.

Hello All,

I am new to all this Chap. 7 stuff. I never thought I would be doing this, but my luck has been bad for the last few years and health has been getting bad as well. I am in my mid 30's. Im just nervous about the process. Stress makes my condition worse. I am working on doing the online counselling for the pre BK certificate. I am so stressed over the whole ordeal. The whole going to court thing to meet with the trustee and creditors seems scary to me. The stress makes my medical condition worse and makes me crippled in most of the joints of my body and is very very painful at times. I really dont have anyone to talk to about my BK stuff. I just dont know who to deal with it at times.

1) Do you have to do the whole course in one sitting?
    2) How do you do the list of things you own? On a piece of paper since there is no room on the pages the attorney gives you?
    3) I dont own much of anything, just clothing and a few misc items.
    4) Did anyone stop paying all their bills once they hired their attorney? I was told to stop paying. I have been paying about 98% of bills except for a coupe of credit cards that raised the intrest so i high with the new minimum increase the gov passed, i could not make the min anymore.
    5) Anyone have trouble with theri job while going through BK?
    6) Anyone have any trouble opening a new bank account prior to BK?

Thanks for any help and support here! It is very appreciated! Its a very embarassing time for me and depressing during the holidays too. My attorney tells me its nothing to worry about. Attorney told me i am a perfect canidate for this and would have no problem. But I still worry.

Thanks so much in advance! Appreciate your time for responding.
    BKMike in TX
    Last edited by BKMike; 12-04-2006, 06:30 PM.
    Taking the BK plunge.

Ok, I think I can answer some of your questions.

1. Yes and no. Many people on this forum have pulled up the information and then went on with their normal lives. Continuing every so often. At the end of the reading there will be a test though, so be sure that you know the answers or you will have to do again.

2. Yes, I did my list on my own paper. I went room to room so that I wouldnt leave anything out. I then transfered everything to the schedule. Since you have an attorney your attorney will do this for you.

4. Yes, I think everyone stops paying all of their credit cards, vehicles etc. Basically, if it is something that you are going to surrender and not want after bk, stop paying. However, you will want to continue paying your current utilities because if not, you will most likely have to come up with a hefty deposit once the automatic stay is ended.

5. I dont think BK will hinder a job you currently have. Although I know that some have said on here that if you work in finance and are looking for work, it could interfere with that.

6. If you do not have any outstanding bad checks you shouldnt have a problem. If you have bounced checks that you havent paid, make sure you include those in your bk. Then after you are discharged you can dispute with Chexsystem and they will remove it from your record allowing you then to open an account.

Try not to be embarrassed. I know that is hard to say, for a long time I was embarrassed and ashamed of myself too. Many, many people have gone through bk, people you would have never expected. And many, many more people will have to declare bk. Your not alone. Everyone here will be very supportive of you.

I filed chapter 7 bk for my husband and I prose. I had no problems at all. We did not have any assets and make below the median income. I too was extremely worried but everything west smoothly. We were discharged 11/13.

Good luck to you and hope you have a great Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by confusedinVA View Post

1. Yes and no. Many people on this forum have pulled up the information and then went on with their normal lives. Continuing every so often. At the end of the reading there will be a test though, so be sure that you know the answers or you will have to do again.

I think in Q#1, CVA was referring to the Post BK Debtor Education Course.

The pre BK Cert, if you're doing that online, it's really gonna depend on the Agency you choose. We went with CCCS of Atlanta. We coulda entered some data, stopped and saved, came back later and finished entering information.

Some of the services also do phone counseling Sessions. If you'd rather do that than enter your info on line, maybe that's a route for you.

We've all been in your shoes. Knowing you cannot financially recover without Legal assistance is a tough realization for everyone.

This is a business decision to help with the health and welfare of you and your family. Feel free to vent any time. We're here to help!
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Thanks for the nice replies!

Hello,
        I have read your replies below. I have replied in bold text.

Reply: I am trying to figure out which is better for the pre-filling cert. By phone or online? Has anyone, done the phone version? Or which one is easiest route?

2. Yes, I did my list on my own paper. I went room to room so that I wouldnt leave anything out. I then transfered everything to the schedule. Since you have an attorney your attorney will do this for you.

Well this one shouldnt be too hard. I have had to stay living at home due to medical issues were at times i need help with doing daily things. Getting dressed, tying shoes, walking, eating etc. (Lots of severe pain in the joints)Doctors tell me its been getting worse over the last several years and partly due to major stress i have with all the bills.

I dont really own anything. Lost most during 2 floods and never bought anything nice anymore due to fear of losing it again during hurricanes. Each time insurance paid less to cover purchasing anything nice. So I have very little. My truck is paid for but not worth much of anything. It needs repairs before it can pass inspection. I live in one room right now. Just clothing a borrowed TV, clock radio, clothing most does not fit either. Sold a few things that had any kind of value awhile back to help keep a float paying bills, medicine, gas for work, daily living stuff. COmputer belongs to relative vcr too. Mainly i have just clothing, school books and a PS1 game and 1 or 2 games. Thats about it.

How do you list your clothing? Shirts, pants, chorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes and how many of each?

4. Yes, I think everyone stops paying all of their credit cards, vehicles etc. Basically, if it is something that you are going to surrender and not want after bk, stop paying. However, you will want to continue paying your current utilities because if not, you will most likely have to come up with a hefty deposit once the automatic stay is ended.

I have not been able to make myself stop paying bills. All are CC's. I didnt write hardly any checks at all. I dont have any untilities to pay. A very small rent. But only because I do that on my own to help out. There are a few CC's I have that are small and will pay them off, since not having to pay the bigger payments.

5. I dont think BK will hinder a job you currently have. Although I know that some have said on here that if you work in finance and are looking for work, it could interfere with that.

Ok, I dont wk in finance. I dont owe my job any money either. I do a good job. So I guess I am ok here. I was just getting a couple of phone calls from bill collectors at wk before i hired an attorney. Those have stopped for now until the others follow since I am slowly stopping on the payments.

6. If you do not have any outstanding bad checks you shouldnt have a problem. If you have bounced checks that you havent paid, make sure you include those in your bk. Then after you are discharged you can dispute with Chexsystem and they will remove it from your record allowing you then to open an account.

Did anyone have any trouble with their bank accounts after filling and during the whole process? Mine is all good. No bounced checks, and mantained. I did stop direct deposit on it though just to be safe. I may move to another bank though because i think a my bank purchased a CC company I have an account with. So I will move.

Try not to be embarrassed. I know that is hard to say, for a long time I was embarrassed and ashamed of myself too. Many, many people have gone through bk, people you would have never expected. And many, many more people will have to declare bk. Your not alone. Everyone here will be very supportive of you.

Oh you are so right! I guess I am getting over the embarrassment but its just that I was soo used to paying all in full every month. Then came the illness, job loss, and then came the big bills. Then 8-9 months with no job living on CC's. I look at Trump filling and now he is back and nobody tells him anything. I see lots of famous people who have done it. I am just trying to accept it. I have been trying to get the paper work done but have not been able to hold a pen or pencil to write. I can barely type right now. Its soo aggravating. I am glad that I am single filling. Dont own a house, or any assets. My lawyer told me this would be good for me so can get well and start off fresh. I have learned a lot over the last 3 weeks. I just need to get all the papers filled out and to the lawyer. Oh and finish paying him too. Hopefully be done with that by end of Dec. Not buying any Christmas. Just dont feel to merry i guess. Just stressed about even meeting a trustee. Courts just sound scary to me. I hope there is not anything i forget to write down or something. Last thing i want is to be accuse of lying about something when i had no intention.

I filed chapter 7 bk for my husband and I prose. I had no problems at all. We did not have any assets and make below the median income. I too was extremely worried but everything west smoothly. We were discharged 11/13.

Wow! That was brave to do! I give you credit for doing it on your own. I make below the median as well. Plus health issues. That may improve after the stress is gone and I can actually relax and destress. Maybe take a vacation. Mybe think about a family and a better life as things get better. Since things have been so bad over the last several years, I was not even thinking of having any kind family life of my own and stand on my own 2 feet again.

Thanks soo much to both of you who replied, for the nice thoughts and kind words! It is all appreciated! I hope you have a nice fresh start and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Congrats to you on your Discharge. You got discharged as I was going in to hire a lawyer. Sheesh.
        Taking the BK plunge.

Comment

I did my 1st class on the phone. It took MAYBE 10 minutes. Once the lady realized we had no money and lots of bills she pretty much wrapped things up.

All of your clothing gets grouped under 1 category. Just put clothing - $500, or whatever you think the value is.

I really think you should stop paying your cc's. I know you are trying to do what is right and that is very commendable, but stop it,lol. I believe those payments will be considered preferential payments and the trustee will get the money back from them. Hopefully someone with some experience will chime in on this. Did'nt your attorney tell you to stop paying on them?

Your bank account will be fine. Just be careful of the amount in the account on the day the petition is filed.

Trust me, we were all nervous about the trustee and the 341. It really is not a big deal at all. We went in with no attorney and did great. I walked away thinking "that's it? We cant be done." Try to be as thorough as possible when filling out your papers. As far as listing property try not to leave anything off, but also know that the trustee is not going to come to your house to search. Also, make sure that you carefully review all of the papers the attorney fills out. Make sure everything is accurate.

Definitely go on that vacation when all is said and done. Sounds like you are very deserving of it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X