Becoming a Authorized User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming a Authorized User

Is it within the rules to become an authorized user on someone else's credit card while in an active CH13? I won't have access to it, am not obligated to pay on it, and it'll help my credit score.

I'm not incurring new debt either. I don't see how it wouldn't be okay, but I can't seem to get a clear answer.

My attorney is a pain to get ahold of, so I though I'd ask here.

TIA.

Its not incurring new debt so I don't see an issue. Technically, its up to the card holder since it is their account/their obligation to pay.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I am an authorized user on one of my mom's credit cards. I don't think it gets reported to the credit agencies though--I've never seen it on my credit report.
      Chapter 13 Filed: 2/7/07 Confirmed: 5/1/07 Discharged: 3/2/2012 Closed: 6/2/2012
      130 out of 130 bi-weekly payments DONE
      100% Completed

Comment

I was an auth user on one of my moms cc, she ended up paying the card off each month because that is how she is, and it was reported on my bureaus. I recently closed the card (which was painful) because I don't want my moms excellent credit to be impacted by my actions and secondly, I don't want her to know that we are in trouble. I hate I told you so's.

Comment

The laws changed about 2 years ago in regard to this very thing. Although as an A/B on someone's account, it my show up on your credit report, it will no longer be a factor in your personal score.

Comment

Originally posted by rjd78 View Post
            Is it within the rules to become an authorized user on someone else's credit card while in an active CH13? I won't have access to it, am not obligated to pay on it, and it'll help my credit score.

I'm not incurring new debt either. I don't see how it wouldn't be okay, but I can't seem to get a clear answer.

My attorney is a pain to get ahold of, so I though I'd ask here.

TIA.
            sassiebaz is correct...Authorized users do not report ot credit bureaus anymore. So....other than having a credit card to use...it will not help your credit scores

Filed July 09
            Confirmation - June 2010
            Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

More and more creditors are also not adding AU's to the AU's credit report either. They don't want to play that game anymore regardless if FICO08 discards the AU from a score calculation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X