Trustee's student loan disbursements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee's student loan disbursements?

We just got confirmed and I am trying to figure out how much of our student loans are going to be paid off during the life of our BK. (our students loans are included in our plan)

The total we will pay in to our Ch. 13 is $154,000 - this is about 83% of our total claims.
    Does this mean that 83% of our student loans will be paid off at the end of our BK? Or does the lien strip get paid off first then the unsecured split up the rest?
    My lawyer did mention that student loans get paid the same as everyone else but, this is too vague for me.

Lien strip = 73000
    Student loans = 56000
    Other unsecured = 41000
    Lawyer= 3000
    Total claims = 173000

My student loans were sent to the Michigan Guaranty where they are now sitting for the duration of my plan. They were automatically placed in deferrement until I am done with the bankruptcy. Your student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy so even if some it paid on them during your plan you will still be responsible for the rest when your bk is over.

Comment

Originally posted by ccfriend View Post
      My student loans were sent to the Michigan Guaranty where they are now sitting for the duration of my plan. They were automatically placed in deferrement until I am done with the bankruptcy. Your student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy so even if some it paid on them during your plan you will still be responsible for the rest when your bk is over.
      Thanks,
      I am aware that they will not be discharged. I'm just trying to figure out how much of them will be paid off when we are done.
      Did you include your student loans in your plan?

Comment

If $154k is the total you're paying into your plan - first the trustee takes 5-10% from each payment. (Varies by district.) So $138,600-$146,300 will be paid out.

I'm assuming you listed all the claims, so there are no secured/mortgage arrears/taxes, etc. The atty gets $3000 in full. Then the $170,000 in unsecured should each get a portion relative to the claim filed. So of the $135,600-$143,300 to creditors, about 43% to your 2nd mortgage company, 33% to your student loans, and 24% among other unsecured.

The student loans will continue to accrue interest though.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Thank you for doing all that math for me, it really clears things up. But, just to be sure- it sounds like your saying that the second mortgage gets treated as unsecured and doesn't get paid in full, right?
          I know about the interest on the student loans I just wanted to get a ball park figure. It would have made a big difference if the second mortgage got preferential treatment.
          By the way my trustee gets 6.8% However, my attorney said that this number goes up and down year to year.

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
          If $154k is the total you're paying into your plan - first the trustee takes 5-10% from each payment. (Varies by district.) So $138,600-$146,300 will be paid out.

I'm assuming you listed all the claims, so there are no secured/mortgage arrears/taxes, etc. The atty gets $3000 in full. Then the $170,000 in unsecured should each get a portion relative to the claim filed. So of the $135,600-$143,300 to creditors, about 43% to your 2nd mortgage company, 33% to your student loans, and 24% among other unsecured.

The student loans will continue to accrue interest though.

Comment

Correct, 2nd/heloc creditor is just a general unsecured. The whole logic to stripping the lien is that there is not enough equity in the home to make even $1 of the 2nd/heloc a secured loan. So its officially converted to unsecured.

Sounds like we are in districts where trustees are on the low side of the fee scale. Mine is 5.4% - I hear many areas are at or close to the max.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Check to make sure that the student loans filed a proof of claim. No proof, no payment. Usually they are pretty good about it, but once in awhile . . . Never hurts to ask or if your trustee has a website that lists who has filed proofs in your case, you can look there too.
              I am not a lawyer - I just play one on TV. It is always in your best interest to seek legal advice from a competent attorney licensed in your state. Any information I post here should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mike963 View Post
                We just got confirmed and I am trying to figure out how much of our student loans are going to be paid off during the life of our BK. (our students loans are included in our plan)
                By the end of your plan, your student loan creditor will have received the same % payback as all your other unsecured creditors who filed claims. Whatever is left is yours to pay in full after discharge.
                Last edited by lrprn; 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM.
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by starr4law View Post
                  Check to make sure that the student loans filed a proof of claim. No proof, no payment. Usually they are pretty good about it, but once in awhile . . . Never hurts to ask or if your trustee has a website that lists who has filed proofs in your case, you can look there too.
                  Yes they were the first ones to file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X