top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to money paid if I convert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to money paid if I convert?

I had a question about the money I paid into my plan when I convert to a chapter 7? My debt is all CCs. My only asset thats non-exempt is my car. Wife is on both titles and I can only exempt one car. I'm going to push to convert at the end of June. I would have to get another appraisal for my car and with the wild car and her on the title I may have to pay $1500+/- to keep it.

Who gets the money I paid in to the 13? I know the trustee for the 13 will take something, but who gets the rest. Do I get it back or does the new trustee get it? Can I use it to cover the cost to keep my car?

Any ideas?

It depends...

Has your plan been confirmed? If so, the trustee should be making payments to your debts. If its not confirmed, in most cases the only thing that gets paid pre-confirmation is secured loans such as a car. If you convert or dismiss, there is probably a stipulation (if you did not pay your atty in full) about how much the atty gets.

What has been paid out to date? In the useful links thread, there is a link to the 13DataCenter. You may want to check there to see what has happened so far.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

My 341 was Feb 16th and it was confirmed on March 25th. I'm only paying CC's and attorney. Attorney got $1500 upfront bacause I was thinking I would be a 7 from the start. Some bad math and a few other things from his assistant started me off in a 13. Trustee has not paid anyone yet.

Comment

By the time you dismiss and/or convert - the trustee will probably have sent out some payments. There is a good possibility that anything paid in up until the time you filed will be sent to creditors and/or your atty. (With the trustee taking a fee of course.) Your atty probably has it arranged to get all of his payment over the first ~6 months or so of the plan rather than an equal portion over 36-60 months.

If it takes time to stop deductions (if you're doing payroll wage order) then anything taken out after the dismissal/conversion gets returned to you. I can speak to that - according to the 13DataCenter our last weekly check withdrawal was cut on Friday. (Our TT seems to have about a 2 week turnaround from when they received it, perhaps to make sure the funds are good?)
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X