Tax Refund Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Refund Question

My husband and I just filed our taxes over the weekend, I made a copy for the TT. My question is, since we have not been confirmed yet, will the trustee intercept our refund or is this something that is done after confirmation? Our percentage payback is about 90%. I understand if it's intercepted but wanted to ask anyway. Thank you for all your support.

They can't intercept it before confirmation. Now, to build on this interception thing, at least one circuit court has found that due to the sovereign immunity of the IRS, the Trustee has no right to intercept an income tax refund.

Do you know for sure that "your" District uses the interception method?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Not sure, but I am in Florida Middle District.

Comment

Florida doesn't intercept.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks Just Broke. If I receive the refund in the mail, should I contact my attorney to get his thoughts? I just do not want to spend it and then get penalized later. I thought the court could take the refund once we filed.

Comment

Just talk with your attorney. I don't know what to do with tax refunds in an unconfirmed Chapter 13 Plan.

Comment

What does your plan say about refunds? It varies widely by district, from the posts I've seen here. My district (N. Ga) & plan says the first 3 years goes to the TT. I don't know if that is because I'm below median income & only filing 5 because I can't afford a high enough payment to resolve priority debt in 3 though.

Others have said they only have to turn it or a portion of the refund over if they get a refund over $X where $X varies. Some districts have no interest in the refund at all.
              Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
              (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

In general, Florida requires the entire refund to be submitted on a confirmed plan. Since this plan isn't confirmed, it gets interesting.

Comment

I just emailed my lawyer and will post his answer...if he answers.

Comment

He'll probably write... blah blah blah... an unconfirmed plan submits all disposable income to the custody and control of the Trustee and plan... blah blah blah.... you are bound by the plan pre-confirmation.... blah blah blah... turn over the check.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X