top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has student loans for yourself or your kids helped put you in BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has student loans for yourself or your kids helped put you in BK?

I was wondering if student loans were a major factor in being overwhelmed by debt. As I understand it, there is now the PLUS loan which parents can take out for the children's education - but which is like a student loan in that it is non-dischargeable.

No issues here. No PLUS loans though, my student loans are for me. And with the Income Based Repayment option (new as of July 09 I think) student loan payments should not be a major trouble. I'm not sure if that applies to PLUS though.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

PLUS loans ARE student loans and none are dischargeable. Look into the income based repayment because I believe they fall under the same guidelines since they are government loans.

Student loans make up about 40 percent of my debt load.; I have gov't directs and privates (do NOT use these, under any circumstances).
      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

$0 in student loan debt

$34k credit cards
        $32k 2nd mortgage (being stripped)
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X