top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car; High Interest. Is lender told to lower rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car; High Interest. Is lender told to lower rate?

When a filed my Ch13 in May of 2007, I had my car for two years with an interest rate of 22%. My attorney fought for me and got it lowered to 8%. I later surrendered it because it was no where near worth what the lender would have got.
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

We are in Arizona. We bought 2 vehicles in 2008. In our plan, the interest is 0% but then we haven't been approved yet.
      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

My understanding is that if the principle can be paid off in the term of the plan than they can potentially get the rate lowered. Attempting to do that within my plan, but I have yet to be confirmed.
        March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
        Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

if your car is a part of your chapter 13 plan (paid for by the trustee, then the trustee will set the interest on the car) If you pay your vehicle outside the plan, then you will pay the higher rate. To include our car in our plan we had to be in arrears. Talk to your attorney about including it. My interest went from 24 percent down to 6 (per the trustee)

Comment

We were current on our vehicles but they are inside the plan.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

A different interest rate can be proposed, but it doesn't mean that the case will be confirmed that way. The creditor could file an objection to the proposed interest rate and potentially compel the court to side with them. Maybe they wouldn't.

It would kind of be not really in YOUR best interests though if an attorney proposed the high interest rate though to start. If it doesn't get objected to, then it's fine....so you want to start out at a reasonable rate, like maybe 6 or 8%. I think 0% is a slap in the face of the car creditor. The creditor should have every right to account for the time value of money. On top of that, you're keeping the asset that is tied to the debt. 0% is bad faith in my opinion.
              I do not provide legal advice. All I do here is give my two cents as an opinion and at least share some of the facts that I know. Attorneys can provide legal advice, so go ask them or hire one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X