No announcement yet.

Preparing for my Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vicmost, if your appraisal comes in below your first mortgage, which I think it will, you should consider getting a new car or two.
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

As for your mother-in-law, if you get stopped with her in your car, and they find out she overstayed, they can seize your car and arrest you. The good news is this rarely happens. My wife is oriental also and we get stopped by the border patrol every once in a while. I have a DOD (Department of Defense) stiker on my window. I roll my window down about half way, when they see the sticker, they motion us on. They never ask for IDs. I got the sticker at our local Military surplus store.
      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I will do!

Thanks!
        Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
          Vicmost, if your appraisal comes in below your first mortgage, which I think it will, you should consider getting a new car or two.
          Why? I only have minimal equity in the one car ($2500)....

Comment

As for your mother-in-law, if you get stopped with her in your car, and they find out she overstayed, they can seize your car and arrest you. The good news is this rarely happens. My wife is oriental also and we get stopped by the border patrol every once in a while. I have a DOD (Department of Defense) stiker on my window. I roll my window down about half way, when they see the sticker, they motion us on. They never ask for IDs. I got the sticker at our local Military surplus store.
            It could happen I guess.. It just seams very unlikely ...I've never seen the border patrol unless I'm near San Diego area and I rarely go there.

Good tip though!

Comment

Originally posted by vicmost View Post
              Why? I only have minimal equity in the one car ($2500)....
              A new car, espeially if paid in the plan, will pay the car off during the bankruptcy while paying less to unseured debt.

Comment

A new car, espeially if paid in the plan, will pay the car off during the bankruptcy while paying less to unseured debt.
                I thought there had to be a certain amount of time since purchase to be able to include it in your plan...(270 days??) I will research it a bit more...I get your point though...Thanks

Comment

Wouldn't I be doing the same thing by purchasing tools for my job? I need tools more than I need a new car.

Comment

I would consider doing both. Get the tools first, then the car.

Comment

The time limit on the car purchase is just if you want to "cram down" it's value, kind of like the lien stripping you want to do. This would only be a good idea if you decide to go Ch 13, then it will lower your disposable income, basically that income goes towards something you want (your car) rather than to an unsecured creditor.
                      Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                      Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
                        The time limit on the car purchase is just if you want to "cram down" it's value, kind of like the lien stripping you want to do. This would only be a good idea if you decide to go Ch 13, then it will lower your disposable income, basically that income goes towards something you want (your car) rather than to an unsecured creditor.
                        Got it- The time limit is for the "cram down" on the vehicle..

And the purchase of a vehicle would direct my disposable income towards a car and not to unsecured creditors...

What about the interest on secured debts like cars and tools?
                        Does the intertest stop if it is included in your payment plan?

Example- I purchase $10k in tools (at 10%)
                        6 months from now I file chapter 13.
                        Do I pay the principal only over the next 3 to five years or do I pay principal plus interest?....
                        Am I wrong inestimating an additonal %10 for the Trustee?

Thanks!

Comment

Trustees % varies by district, it might not be as high as 10% (I think that is the max). My trustee only charges 2.7%, for example. Whether the trutee/judge modifies the terms of the secured loan's interest can also vary. I don't know much about that since my only secured was my house, which by law the judge can't modify, but I have heard of other debts, like car loans, etc being modified with respect to interest rates. Sometimes they lower the interest rates, sometime completely eliminate them... it all seems to be a crapshoot with your particular district rules being what determines these things, which is why I think the BK process is so unfair, there's so much latitude and variations in interpretation of the law.
                          Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                          Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X