Paying back on a 5 year for a CH 13.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in debt around 72000 unsecured. I talked with my first lawyer and he mentioned we would have to payback a minimum of 10% (7,200) on a 5 year plan. Is this true?

Originally posted by jlasky View Post
    I am in debt around 72000 unsecured. I talked with my first lawyer and he mentioned we would have to payback a minimum of 10% (7,200) on a 5 year plan. Is this true?
    Until a lawyer actually completes the Means Test, files your Ch 13 case, and it's confirmed by the trustee, it's impossible to tell how much your payback % to creditors might be.

I would be wary of any lawyer who glances at your income, asset values, exemptions, and living expenses, then whips out a payback % figure. (Frankly, the final payback % depends on which of your creditors actually file claims to receive payments anyway.)
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I believe if you choose a longer period than 36 months then there is a minimum but not sure what it is....Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
        I believe if you choose a longer period than 36 months then there is a minimum but not sure what it is....Anyone?
        Regardless of whether the Ch 13 is set to run 36 months or 60 months, your creditors must receive at least as much as they would have received in a Ch 7. There is no minimum payback % mandated for Ch 13. There have been a few cases where 0% payback to non-secured creditors who filed claims has been confirmed.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED

Comment

Like the others said the lawyer doesnt decide what percentage you pay back, your schedules do. My petition called for 20% payback to unsecureds but due to one creditor not filing, and a few extra payments made by me, they will be getting back 48%.

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
            Until a lawyer actually completes the Means Test, files your Ch 13 case, and it's confirmed by the trustee, it's impossible to tell how much your payback % to creditors might be.

I would be wary of any lawyer who glances at your income, asset values, exemptions, and living expenses, then whips out a payback % figure. (Frankly, the final payback % depends on which of your creditors actually file claims to receive payments anyway.)
            That is sooooooo true!!

We were below the Median and the first attny we Consulted did that.

Took Hubby's pay check, deducted his (the attny's) own set of allowable deductions. Then gleefully announced we'd only have to pay back $195/mo for 60 months.

Here's a link for you:

http://www.legalconsumer.com/means-t...ator/index.php

You plug in some info and that site will give you a good idea if you are a Ch 7 candidate or if you'll need to file a Ch 13.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Paying back on a 5 year for a CH 13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine was about the same amount of debt, all unsecured. I had to file Ch13 at first. Even though the Means Test proved NEG 60 odd dollars, my schedules proved $800 PLUS! That was because I had been working two full time jobs. At first my payback was 10% IF the Trustee would allow a "good faith payment," offer of $250 monthly, however since the real schedules proved more he wanted the full $800 a month (so that was about 40% payback)! End result I just quit one job and converted to CH 7.

Best of Luck, CMIYC
              July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
              Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
              Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
              Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

He may also be stating what is the norm in your region. I know with mine he told me anything less than 16% and the trustee will want to dig. My means actually came out where I am at almost 75% probably 100% after a few creditors don't file.

I would get another consult. If you are at all leary of your attorney you want to meet others. First impressions are true a lot of the times.

Good luck
                Filed Chapter 13: 3/12/07
                Confirmed 5/14/07
                Last day from Claims 7/10/07
                Trying to stay under the radar

Comment

0% to unsecured creditors

My plan pays back priority and secured creditors 100% and the unsecured creditors ($129,000) 0%. I did however file before the law changed . .
                  Filed 2/2005
                  Last payment 9/2008
                  Discharged 12/2008

Comment

What does this all mean. I just filled and started paying CH13 in 12/6 and really dont know as much as I should. Can any of you explain to me the payback percentages and stuff that you guys are talking about?

Thanks,
                    CBC123

Comment

Here are three excellent and reliable websites that explain Ch 13 from top to bottom -
                      Background A chapter 13 bankruptcy is also called a wage earner's plan. It enables individuals with regular income to develop a plan to repay all or part of their debts. Under this chapter, debtors propose a repayment plan to make installments to creditors over three to five years. If the debtor's current monthly income is less than the applicable state median, the plan will

Start here, read and absorb, then come back with your questions. We're here to help any way we can!

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED

Comment

Originally posted by southerncomfort View Post
                        My plan pays back priority and secured creditors 100% and the unsecured creditors ($129,000) 0%. I did however file before the law changed . .
                        It can still work the same for Below the Median filers under New Law.

I've seen a Plan filed here that paid 100% to arrears on the house and a car, and back taxes that were owed. Unsecureds would get 0%. The filers were below the Median and in a 36 month Plan.
                        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                        Discharged - 12/2006
                        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post

I've seen a Plan filed here that paid 100% to arrears on the house and a car, and back taxes that were owed. Unsecureds would get 0%. The filers were below the Median and in a 36 month Plan.

That's what it is for me, except 60 months payback for arrears and taxes only, unsecured get nada, nothing, zip. I filed Dec 06, new law.
                          I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

my plan, I pay back 100% to secured loans, 100% joint unsecured debt and 1% to all individual unsecured debt. means test yes, but also, it doesn't matter as far as your payment because the way it is, ALLLLLL of your disposable income goes to the trustee and there's no way to tell what that is until you do the budget report
                            12/19/06 Chapter 13
                            1/22/07 341 Meeting
                            3/5/07 Confirmation Hearing Continued
                            6/28/07 CONFIRMED!

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post

I'm not exactly sure how mine worked out the way it did. Those mathematical formulas confuse me.
                              Last edited by southerncomfort; 01-09-2008, 07:41 AM.
                              Filed 2/2005
                              Last payment 9/2008
                              Discharged 12/2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X