Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there really a "free" consultation?

Bear with me on this stupid question...

I'm pro-se & I have several additional questions (other than what I've already posted) -- I'm afraid that if I go in for a "free consultation" they will spend all the time trying to sell me, when all I really want is the answer to a few questions. I don't want to waste their time (or mine) with them trying to recruit me when all I want is a few answers.

Is it wrong to want a lawyer who will simply answer a few questions for like $100 bucks or something?

Its a free consultation, you are not forced to sign or give them money UNLESS you choose to !

Good Luck, CMIYC
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Go to the free Consults.

As you research, you'll have questions you need answers to. Speaking with different local attnys may tell you how various aspects of your particular situation may be handled by your Court. You might even get some insights as to how to list or phrase things when you complete your own petition. Things that could be to your advantage.

And, No, attnys don't try the "high pressured" sales pitch. As strong as it got for us was one guy told us several times he was the cheapest attny in town. But every attny we spoke with told us different things about our case, the Court, the Trustees. We learned a lot.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

But consultations are just that...they don't really get into specifics. So, if you want to try to glean information that will help you "specifically", you are not going to get it from a consultation. In some respects, consultations are sales pitches: you will explain your situation, the lawyer will ask some questions, and then the lawyer will explain how they can help. They are not going to do a case review with you and assist you in any meaningful way (and the rules of professional conduct actually forbid them from doing so).

There is also an ethical issue involved, a lawyer cannot/should not give too specific of advice because in the short time they meet with you, they cannot possibly get a full picture of your situation. So lawyers will only give general advice.

Comment

I managed to get enough free info from my three consultations that I did in order to file chpt 7 pro se. If was good solid info.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I wouldn't mention either that you've been to see other lawyers when you go to these consultations they may be reluctant to try and sell themselves if the think you are just there to dig for BK info and are not serious about filing with THEM. Thats just a thought. I agree with HHM that in some respect they are going to give you THEIR sales pitch, and the less likely they find out you've already "been there," (did that, done that) the more sales pitch (info) your going to get out of them (make yourself a list with all the same questions and take to each consultation and compare the answers. If they really want and need the business they will persuade you to look no further IF THEY are good at selling their business to you! Play the game! And I could agree with cindylynn, the more consultations the more different info you might be able to get what you need out of each consultation and actually save yourself some $$$ by filing pro-se once you feel comfortable!

Best of Luck, CMIYC
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X