Trustee Refund Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee Refund Check

My 5-year chapter 13 bankruptcy was just discharged and I received a refund check from the trustee of overpayments I made. Oddly, my bank put a 7 day hold on the check. When I asked about it, I was told that there was risk that it would not be paid. I find this very unusual. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Literal same exact thing happened to me last week. I don't have the official discharge but the trustee sent in the note that all payments were made etc. Trustee sent a refund check and I did mobile deposit and was told there would be a 7 day hold due to risk. It went through fine after the 7 days but it was weird. Not sure if it depends on banks but I am Bank of America.

Comment

I made a mobile deposit too. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Makes me wish I'd just driven up to the bank. Had a long talk with the fraud department of the bank yesterday, trying to get an explanation of why it was being held. It seems to be because of a risk assessment that it won't get paid.

What really annoys me is that when I made the deposit it told me that $225 would be available immediately, which it was, and the remainder would be posted on the 17th. However, on the 16th the $225 was removed and the entire $1706 was shown as being held. I received no notification of the reason or the time frame that it would be held. Thankfully, I didn't spend that $225, which could have resulted in NSF fees

Comment

I put mine in the atm at my bank on Sunday and it was in my account on monday. Now the check was under $1000 not sure if that made a difference or not but it was available.

Comment

I just received a letter from my bank dated September 16th informing me that a hold on my check from the trustee was being held because they "have information that leads us to believe that the check may not be made." I really wonder where that information came from.

Comment

That is insane, sometimes the fraud protections are over the top. But I guess the logical answer is at least the bank is conservative and careful with money and looking out for fraud.

The emotional part is another story.

Hang in there, the check is good. The situation stinks. But you will get that long awaited check and I assume your payroll deduction has stopped, and you have more $ in your pocket.

Congrats on being a BK 13 Survivor!
            I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Thanks! Five years and $104k later, it feels very good. Yes, payroll deduction has stopped and I received the discharge. It ended up being a 100% plan.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X